· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I realized I was just guessing on the timing of the baffle change, so I went and did a bit of research and realized that I changed the baffle AFTER the spike began, so that can't be the cause. :/ I'm still completely clueless!
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Why isn't my cycled filter keeping up with the ammonia? It looks like the nitrates are rising faster than my many stems can absorb them. I know I wanted to keep this tank low-tech, but the health of the tank and all its inhabitants comes first. Should I be adding something else? CO2 or another fertilizer? I just can't figure out what's going wrong and it's driving me CRAZY.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Please remind me if you have additional filtration in this tank besides the filter the tank came from? Just looking to make sure you have adequate bio filtration.

So, even with consistent water changes you are still getting a readying for ammonia? I believe with Prime you can add quite a bit more than what you'd normally put in for a water change but not sure how that works and what the benefit is.

Are you making sure to remove the uneaten pellets right away so they have no time to rot? I don't know that this is what's causing the ammonia - just asking.

Are you changing your water right away once the nitrates get over 20ppm? Have you vacuumed your gravel recently?

Just trying to trouble shoot.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Please remind me if you have additional filtration in this tank besides the filter the tank came from? Just looking to make sure you have adequate bio filtration.
    No, I have just the filter that came with the tank. This filter already has to be severely baffled, and it's still creating almost too much current in the tank. However, the filter currently has more space for bio filtration than the original design. I'm using a thick filter sponge in place of the cartridge it's supposed to come with, and there is both a pre-filter sponge and a baffle made with more of the filter sponge on the filter, which should also provide space for BB to grow.

So, even with consistent water changes you are still getting a readying for ammonia? I believe with Prime you can add quite a bit more than what you'd normally put in for a water change but not sure how that works and what the benefit is.
    My understanding is that you can add 5x the ammount, and it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours. Adding it to a tank experiencing a small spike in them would detoxify those for the same time, just as if they were in the tap water.

Are you making sure to remove the uneaten pellets right away so they have no time to rot? I don't know that this is what's causing the ammonia - just asking.
    Yes, or at least I try to. There's very little that is going uneaten.

Are you changing your water right away once the nitrates get over 20ppm? Have you vacuumed your gravel recently?

Just trying to trouble shoot.
    I have been changing my water. It's difficult to vacuum the gravel because it's so heavily planted. Almost anywhere I'd stick the vacuum in the gravel it would disturb plant roots, and a significant portion have been recently added so they haven't even properly rooted yet.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 07-26-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    And I've just finished with this morning's water change. The spreadsheet has been updated with that info. The .25ppm ammonia is still there, but the nitrates are down.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Are you using new water pulled from the tank to test or are you letting it sit for hours? I'm not sure it would matter, but it is a thought.

Is the tank heavily planted? Plants do use up nitrate but it takes a lot of them in relation to tank size and fish to drop nitrates to 0ppm. My point being are you sure the tank was actually cycled before you put in the fish?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the betta is producing more ammonia than the newly established bacteria can handle and this is a mini-cycle.
    +1 to Honeybadger1

I believe with the 0.5ppm of ammonia in your tap water combined with the bio-load of the tank, you do not yet have enough biological filtration on your set-up. I would consider adding more biological filter media. May look into things like adding more filter media to your existing tank, up-grading your filter, adding a second filter, or adding a sponge filter. I have lived in areas with ammonia in the tap water before and I had to add a lot of extra biological filter media in order for the set-up to process the ammonia I was adding to the tank with each water change.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I just want to apologize up front if I sound like I'm being argumentative. It's not my intent, but sometimes when I go through asking for clarification on points it looks argumentative even to me. Text is so bad at transmitting intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I believe with the 0.5ppm of ammonia in your tap water combined with the bio-load of the tank, you do not yet have enough biological filtration on your set-up. I would consider adding more biological filter media. May look into things like adding more filter media to your existing tank, up-grading your filter, adding a second filter, or adding a sponge filter. I have lived in areas with ammonia in the tap water before and I had to add a lot of extra biological filter media in order for the set-up to process the ammonia I was adding to the tank with each water change.
    If the issue is ammonia in my tap, wouldn't that have shown up in the cycling process? Instead, I was able to cycle with no issues. And in fact, since I've added a sponge baffle, now I have a much larger surface for BB to grow on. And I have tested, the ammonia in my tap is chloramines. Untreated tap will come up 0 for ammonia, but when I add Prime I get between .25-.5ppm. Most days it's .25ppm, but it has tested up to .5, so I include that.

Also, isn't the point of a heavily planted tank with a lot of stems and floaters is for the plants to act as a second filtration unit? I know the Walstad NPT is designed with the plants to be the sole filtration for the tank. Now, my tank isn't a true NPT thanks to the substrate and the filter, but I was going for a similar idea where there would be enough plants to act as a second filter. I was able to get my plants to suck up a lot of nitrogen and pearl one afternoon, but I don't know what it was that caused them to be able to do that, and I've only seen minimal pearling since then.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    I just want to apologize up front if I sound like I'm being argumentative. It's not my intent, but sometimes when I go through asking for clarification on points it looks argumentative even to me. Text is so bad at transmitting intent. - You don't appear argumentative to me - just frustrated : (

If the issue is ammonia in my tap, wouldn't that have shown up in the cycling process? Instead, I was able to cycle with no issues. And in fact, since I've added a sponge baffle - what is a sponge baffle?, now I have a much larger surface for BB to grow on. And I have tested, the ammonia in my tap is chloramines. Untreated tap will come up 0 for ammonia, but when I add Prime I get between .25-.5ppm. Most days it's .25ppm, but it has tested up to .5, so I include that.

Also, isn't the point of a heavily planted tank with a lot of stems and floaters is for the plants to act as a second filtration unit? - I have never heard of plants acting as a 2nd filter - they do suck up nitrates, but if plants acted as a filter, then people with heavily planted tanks wouldn't need to worry about making sure they had enough filtration for double their tank size (which is what is usually recommended). I know the Walstad NPT is designed with the plants to be the sole filtration for the tank. Now, my tank isn't a true NPT thanks to the substrate and the filter, but I was going for a similar idea where there would be enough plants to act as a second filter. I was able to get my plants to suck up a lot of nitrogen and pearl - nitrogen & pearls? What do you mean by this? one afternoon, but I don't know what it was that caused them to be able to do that, and I've only seen minimal pearling since then.
    Please see my comments and question above - I'm thinking I agree with Cliff on this - you really need to invest in a filter upgrade or a second filter rather than thinking your plants will do the job - not enough bacteria grows on them to act as a filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    You don't appear argumentative to me - just frustrated : (
    Thanks. I am a bit frustrated with this tank. This was supposed to be my easy tank! Heh.

what is a sponge baffle?
    It's where you use a sponge to baffle the water coming out of the filter, used for fish that can't tolerate a lot of current. I'm basically at the limit of how much current my fish can take, even with the flow baffled.

I have never heard of plants acting as a 2nd filter - they do suck up nitrates, but if plants acted as a filter, then people with heavily planted tanks wouldn't need to worry about making sure they had enough filtration for double their tank size (which is what is usually recommended).
    I cited the Walstad method as an example of a planted tank where the plants are the filtration. In larger NPTs there is usually something for water circulation, but no added filter. Smaller NPTs don't even use water circulation.

Now, my tank isn't an NPT. I don't expect it to be, or for the substrate/plants to be able to handle all of the waste. That's why I'm also using the filter. But I don't see how a properly balanced heavily-planted tank also needs double the stated filtration capacity.

That said, obviously my tank is not in balance.

nitrogen & pearls? What do you mean by this?
    I was using 'nitrogen' as a term to refer to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate collectively. When plants absorb them, they're looking for the nitrogen molecule, and since the nitrogen is the base for all three, it seemed like an easy way to short-hand the three forms. Pearling is the term used when oxygen bubbles form on plants thanks to photosynthesis.

Please see my comments and question above - I'm thinking I agree with Cliff on this - you really need to invest in a filter upgrade or a second filter rather than thinking your plants will do the job - not enough bacteria grows on them to act as a filter.
    I'm reluctant to change the filter. This tank would be difficult to add a different filter to, between the design of the filter/rim interface and how packed the tank is with plants. I have a little strip of floor empty along one side, but that's blocked by the rim/filter.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Tested again as soon as I got home. Holy heck, the nitrates were high! The 40 and 80 colors on the color card look identical to me, but it was one of those. I didn't even come enter the data, I did an immediate water change. Cleaned the gravel where there weren't plants rooted in it and got the vac clogged up TWICE during it, and when the water is anything less than totally full, it's VERY hard to get the vac primed again. :/I lost a fair bit of substrate too. Will test the nitrate levels again in an hour, once the filter's had a chance to circulate and mix the water.

How do nitrates RISE so much in a heavily planted tank?!

I think I need something else in my tank, and I don't know what. :( CO2, maybe? I really don't know. That is an INSANE rise in nitrates for a tank with ONE fish and some snails. :/
    1. 2. (No Picture)