· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Will this stock work?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, some of you may know i just did a setup for Malawi cichlids in a 50 gallon. I have come to the conclusion they are not for me so i'm going to sell them off. Now the plan is to make a planted SA tank out of this.

I was looking at small cichlids to stock the tank with and ended up with angels and keyhole. But then i had to remove the angels since i want neons/kardinals in the tank aswell and i know adult angels will make a snack out of these tetras. I don't have any experience with the keyhole if they will eat the neons they are the same size as angels.

This is how the stock plan looks now
    a tleast 1 pair of keyholes more if they accept each other.
    4 GBR or some apisto
    neons/kardinals not yet figured out a number but they are going in there aswell.
    and the 2 ancistrus i have in the malawi tank today.

the only thing im worried about here is if the keyholes will make snacks out off the neons and kardinals.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i dont have any experience with keyholes either but heres a general rule of thumb, if it fits it ships..... err i mean it snacks... with some rare exceptions for herbavores, this basically means all big fish will snack on small fish. its the way of life. now the question would be if they would hunt them down or would they just snack.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah i know that "RULE" but im not sure if keyholes mouths are large enough for these tetras

0 Not allowed!
    How are you going to keep the cichlids from killing eachother?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with talldutchie, even 4 German Blue Rams in a 50 gallon tank will have issues. They get territorial and the keyholes mixed with them would be a concern.
    A pair of GBR and 10 cardinals with 8 neons or glowlight tetras would be a good start as long as you have some cover as in driftwood, plants, and/or rocks in the tank. The only tetra I have that the GBR kind of went after was a very small ember tetra I have. He was the runt of the school and the GBR male did follow him around for a few days.
    Fish fighting over territory is awful to watch, they just keep at it until one is the winner and the loser wont be in good shape.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Strider has good ideas on stocking. I would add in some type of cory if you are so inclined. GBR are a bit small but could be change with bolivians to have a larger body to show in the tank. I would go for 10 Cardinals to start and then progress to 20. a total of 10 corys, the two bolivian rams, could also substitute appistograma. Honestly you could do two male appisto with 4-6 females in a 50gal with lots of cave territory. It just depends on how you set the tank up when we are talking cichlids.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you all just stop giving advice on stocking that wasn't my big question im not worried about the stock not working together apart from the keyholes and neon/kardinals tetras.
    Im going to have a mix of neons and kardinals just since it's impossible to buy just 1 species here, they say neons but there are 50/50 of neons and kardinals in those tanks.

Im not afraid the cichlid will kill each other since if they don't go together ill just return some of the stock simple as that. i won't know how it will go until the fish are in the tank.
    all fish are different thats just life. i had an angel a year ago that was so kind, my friend couldn't get closer to 3 feet to the tank when his angels spawned, he was afraid the male would kill him self by attacking the glass with full force. I also had an angel i could pick up with my hand, it's extremly rare but you can't tell how a fish will react until you test.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazumi View Post
    Can you all just stop giving advice on stocking that wasn't my big question im not worried about the stock not working together apart from the keyholes and neon/kardinals tetras..
    Apologies, I was under the impression you were looking for advice on how to stock a happy and healthy tank. My mistake apparently.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    W0W , With a title like "will this stock work?" I would figure that someone is l00king for advice, kinda translates "If this doesn't work, what will". Maybe you should ask a more specific question in the future. Just sayin'...
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazumi View Post
    if they don't go together ill just return some of the stock simple as that.... i won't know how it will go until the fish are in the tank....all fish are different thats just life... it's extremly rare but you can't tell how a fish will react until you test.
    Here is the 0nly answer y0u will 0bvi0usly accept, c0ngrats y0u figured 0ut the secret t0 self help.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!