· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default help with diy 3 tank sump

0 Not allowed!
    im in the process of adding a sump to my exsitnng 55 gallon fowlr tank. i had an idea of connecting 3 10 gallon tanks instead of splitting a 30 galllon into 3 section. I plan on drilling the tanks installing bulkheads and piping using a "gravity" system to get the water to constantly flow from one tank to the next.

now my question is what size bulkheads would be best for this setup?
    and if i use 1 inch bulkhead does that mean the actually piping will 3/4 in?

thanks

0 Not allowed!
    1 inch bulk head flanges are meant to be used with 1 inch pipe and fittings. If you want to use 1 inch bulk head flanges with 3/4 inch pipe, you will need some reducing fittings as well. I would keep it all the same and avoid the extra cost reducing fittings

The correctly sized bulk head flange would need to be determine by how much flow you want going through the sump(s)

If you would let me know how much flow you want, I can recommend a bulk flange size for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have been looking at a diy overflow box that does 300gph do you think that would be strong enough?

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Strong enough for what? You mean high enough flow rate? This might help you-

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

Also DIY overflows can be tricky. What design were you looking at?

I have worked with connecting tanks before in a sump setup. It can be great when it works. I took a non drilling route though and used massive PVC elbows to create a water bridge/siphon between them. All I needed was some cheap PVC and some sort of suction source at the top to pull out the air and complete the siphon. I originally used venturi lines from a pump, then upgraded to an aqua lifter. Hooked it up to the top of the PVC and it kept the pipes under constant suction. With 2x4" pipes it was able to easily handle 1500gph.

The biggest advantage to this was I could easily isolate one of the sumps, and I didn't need to drill. Another upside is I can now use those tanks for something else down the road.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?