· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Upgraded my 29g to 96 watts of t-5 HO plant, fert, and co2 injecter suggestions plz

0 Not allowed!
    All my current plants are low-med light so I wanna yank em all out and peroxide my driftwood that has grey algae on it; I was going to take it out n do it in a bucket with hydrogen peroxide that should kill the algae if I'm not mistaken?

I was thinking of using this site http://www.aquariumplants.com/ or possibly aquabid to order all new plants and rip out all my old ones. Any suggestions I'm surely in the high end light wise now I can also add a 15 watt 6500k side light (all my bulbs are 6500k) if I want as well. I have a 200 dollar budget so I can really go crazy.

I'm using a micro macro fert mix (http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...itU=2&Regit=11) if there's any better on the market I'd like to know since I'm nearly out and liquid co2; should I consider a homemade co2 injection system if I go this route? or do they sell relatively cheap ones (if they are around $50 or so I'll just buy one) already set to go?

I wanna do things right this time I put out big bucks on this tank, fish, and my plants are mediocre looking at best atm; mainly due to buying a large amount of lily plants I didn't know where lilys at the time now I have 18 lily pads and they look like hell.

Please throw out some really cool plant ideas I have a Madagascar lace plant which is about the only one I plan to keep they really are great looking plants.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also have a moon light which is usually for reef tanks is there any benefit of having this on at night for my FW fish? it looks cool but I don't wanna mess my fish up.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    For a 29 gallon a DIY CO2 system should suffice. It is fairly hard to control the exact amount of gas released, and is a bit more labor intensive to refill but very, very cheap. Even if you plan to eventually go pressurized, DIY CO2 is a good and cheap way to see whether CO2 is the right thing before making a large monetary commitment. I don't think they sell complete kits in the 2 digit range. At least in canada good kits, no matter how small, are 150+.

Madagascar lace plants are awesome. I have one that used to fill up 2/3 of a 33 gallon tank as well as giving me my forum name. Other plants I really like include balansae crypt and phyllanthus fluitans,

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use to have an entire garage of tools; what does it take to make my own diy co2 system? got any good links?

My lace plant did mediocre in 36watts but I can only imagine how it's gonna take off now I can get them at my lfs for 4 bucks I might get myself a second one, the balansae crypt is perfect because i have a tall tank and it's rather good looking, phyllanthus fluitans would add some nice color as well.

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    With so much light i wouldnt do diy. You should look into paintball co2 set ups. I think you can set it up grand total 200$ everything included. If you have a co2 tank layong around then 150 probably. I know the regulators for pb systems go for 100
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did lots of ghetto stuff jerry rigging (we call it something diff. here :P) if i can save money I think I'll look into DIY first. I got the light the fish a stable 29g now I just need the co2 setup then the plants. Well the plants I plan to replace mine with.

After looking at the DIY ones I think my landlord might not appreciate coke bottles and yeast fermentation maybe I will check out ones on the market. Any suggestions for a cheap one? I only need a small one for a 29g; I take it with the amount of light and plants I want simply adding it by the capful daily will not suffice.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 07-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a lil out of my league with this I have no idea what I need for my 29g with high light plants any help appreciated. Also any good sites on the market ones pref. under $100 dollars would be ideal.

I did find this for around $30 bucks with minimal DIY. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-DIY...-/271056555731
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 07-18-2013 at 08:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    The irony of being able to buy a DIY product...
    If you manage it well I don't see a problem with your high light. I have 156 watts over 50 gallons of water and use DIY too. Works fine.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    The irony of being able to buy a DIY product...
    If you manage it well I don't see a problem with your high light. I have 156 watts over 50 gallons of water and use DIY too. Works fine.
    Yeah really; this entire idea of adding co2 in this manner is new to me I need to do a lot of reading on the subject.