· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Bubble algae spotted

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I was looking at the rear of my live rock through the side of the aquarium and I noticed what I thought was a single green round (approx. 3/8") sphere growing on the live rock. I have googled for pictures and it looks exactly like Ventricaria ventricosa. I have read that when it is removed spores will be released into the environment. There are few natural predators for this algae, urchins were mentioned as one, but that is probably not practical. This bubble is attached to a base rock in the tank so taking out the rock to remove it would be a PITA.
    So I'm looking for options. Anyone know a remedy for my plight that doesn't involve taking my rock work apart?
    It is pretty to look at. The colour is awesome and the sphere is almost perfect. I should look at the rocks behind the tank more often I guess.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    What I have done when I see one in my tank is that I will use my gravel vac and cover most of the bubble while draining water. I will leave just enough room to get my fingers in there and remove the bubble. I have always be able to do that without breaking it open and the gravel vac is there removing any spores that could accidentally get released. As I have only had to do this 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years, I would assume there has been no spores released and process works fine.

I have never believed what I have read about crabs and urchins being able to eat them without the spores being released. I do not believe that once they start eating the shell of the bubble, they will suck out all the spores from the inside. What is more likely is that by having a lot of bubble algae eating crabs and urchins, they can stay ahead of the spores as they sprout and before they can form new bubbles with more spores. That's just my thoughts tho, not actual proof
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Alrighty, I'm due for a partial water change tomorrow and I use a gravel vac to do this so I'll give that method a try. I read the algae is really attached to the rock, how attached is it Cliff? Would a finger nail work or do I need something to scrap the rock with?

0 Not allowed!
    I have always been able to remove them with a finger nail and just kind of work it loose and roll it off.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes just the gravel vac is enough to nudge it off, some are rooted all the way to China and I used forceps to get them out. But if you can reach it, fingers wiggling it off is usually fine. I do the same as Cliff, but small ones stuck in crevasses I have busted a couple times, but the gravel vac is there to suck up the spores. I have it recurring quite often tho.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you people for the info. I will let you know tomorrow how my experience went.
    The darn thing is really neat looking though. Too bad it's an invasive species.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Update; while doing a water change today I took the above advise and with the help of my daughter (from the front I could not see the bubble algae) who was directing me as she was looking at the algae from the side glass, I was able to locate it and gently roll if off the rock. I was surprised at how the outer shell was hard, I expected more of a jelly feel. It came off in one pieces without popping. In 5 minutes there was a blue legged hermit on the spot it had been on. I hope it was cleaning up whatever may have been left on the rock.
    Thank you people for the advise, hints and confidence. The AC rocks.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It's been awhile since I have seen any more bubble algae but today I just had to laugh. Two of my medium turbo snails ( I have three med. and two large ones), had multiple Ventricaria ventricosa pods on them. I used my fingers to remove them into a clean container with tank water in it and using a new toothbrush, I brushed the pods and algae off them. Now they are two very clean Mexican turbos. No messing with live rock this time. I'm giving the tank the once over looking for more of this algae.
    I'm amazed what can grow on a snails shell.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    They are like islands...anything that drifts on there gets stranded, lol