· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    In all the reading I have been doing I learned that another way to position the spray bar is just under the surface of the water, tilted on a slight upward angle so that it ripples the surface without splashing.
    Good point. And that's the thing with these filters they are so incredibly versatile. I've got fish that like a high dissolved oxygen level so my spraybar goes up with the temperature in the summer.

As to the dresser. Hmm.. stands you can buy are also made from rather thin particle board. Give it's shape I would say that if you shore it up by replacing the back (and yes, they had that thin stuff ever since the 1930s) you could safely handle a 29 but I wouldn't trust it for a 40.

0 Not allowed!
    The only concern that I would have (after the back is re-enforced) is the front of the dresser. To me, that doesn't look like a lot of support for a lot of weight. I know you have a very heavy TV on there and up until now at least, it had been holding the weight. My concern would be that over time, the dresser may start to wrap due to the weight on it making it a un-even surface for your tank.

It might be worth a try, but you would have to keep a close eye on things

I'm not a big fan of using furniture as a tank stand. That comes with some risk IMO.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post

I'm not a big fan of using furniture as a tank stand. That comes with some risk IMO.
    True. OTOH, I've also seen very badly designd tank stands

Awards Showcase

Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos 
    TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for your input...

So, if i were to go to Petco and buy a stand for a 40 gallon (which I'm not going to do), what could I expect the construction of that to be?...to me, alot of them look just like small dressers themselves...they are heavily re-inforced to handle the weight, with solid wood?

The wife is not going to get rid of that piece, so I'm going to have to work around it, which is no big deal...and, the tank will most likely have to be parked in front of, or very close to, a window...we are in the midst of changing out the mini blinds throughout the house...the wife said the news ones are designed to block most light, but I'm skeptical
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    It's not so much that they are heavily reinforced but they are correctly reinforced. They are specially designed to hold weight on top.
    Two of my tanks are in front of my large window in the living room, I have no problem with algae. The window is covered with blinds and a flimsy "curtain" and the backs of the tank are covered with black poster board. The tanks are moderately planted and lightly stocked. Light is only one of the things algae needs to thrive, the other is nutrients. Keep the plant to fish ratio balanced (every tank is going to be different) and feed your fish lightly and you shouldn't have too much of an issue.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos 
    TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning HB1, and thanks for clearing that up about the stands....and thanks for giving me a bit of confidence on the tank placement

I think I'm going to look into either finding a used stand, or building one of my own...

0 Not allowed!
    How about having a look at warehouse equipment or something like that? Industrial shelving is designed to carry a lot of weight. Also check this:
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=4&t=27791

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    How about having a look at warehouse equipment or something like that? Industrial shelving is designed to carry a lot of weight. Also check this:
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=4&t=27791
    yes, I've thought about steel or metal shelving too, talldutchie...heck, I work right next to a warehouse that is full of that stuff...the wife likes making that skirting type of stuff, she could easily hide an ugly stand if I needed her to...

And thanks for the link, let me check it out...

In the meantime, I really like gronlaura's stands that she is working on, too: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...131&highlight=

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I'm using an Ikea expedit with my 33 gallon. Works well, looks pretty good but the height is only enough for the smallest eheims.
    At the risk of hijacking the thread, but trying to help with stand ideas:

I have one of the tall expedit units at home, lying on its side and being used as a TV stand. Do you think it would be possible to modify assembly so you remove one of the shelves, and make space for the filter? I'm pretty sure the assembly can be modified (it would involve turning the shelf assembly by 90 degrees inside the frame, and them simply leaving one of the shelves out) to look like so:

ikea.jpg

The question is whether removing that shelf might compromise the structural integrity of the unit. I assume that the middle vertical divider helps carry the weight somewhat, and removing the shelf might allow it to bend sideways... what do you think?

EDIT: the reason I don't want to turn the entire unit on its side and leave a shelf out is to have the top shelf rest on top of the vertical supports. Turning the entire unit on its side would mean that the top shelf is resting inside the vertical supports instead of on top, and the weight of the tank woudl be supported only by the 4 screws used to put the frame together
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 07-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    yes, I've thought about steel or metal shelving too, talldutchie...heck, I work right next to a warehouse that is full of that stuff...the wife likes making that skirting type of stuff, she could easily hide an ugly stand if I needed her to...

And thanks for the link, let me check it out...

In the meantime, I really like gronlaura's stands that she is working on, too: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...131&highlight=
    Certainly in your country where wood is quite cheap that would seem like a good option. Once you got a skeleton like that you can hide the structural bits with many things.

Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post

At the risk of hijacking the thread, but trying to help with stand ideas:

I have one of the tall expedit units at home, lying on its side and being used as a TV stand. Do you think it would be possible to modify assembly so you remove one of the shelves, and make space for the filter? I'm pretty sure the assembly can be modified (it would involve turning the shelf assembly by 90 degrees inside the frame, and them simply leaving one of the shelves out) to look like so:

ikea.jpg

The question is whether removing that shelf might compromise the structural integrity of the unit. I assume that the middle vertical divider helps carry the weight somewhat, and removing the shelf might allow it to bend sideways... what do you think?

EDIT: the reason I don't want to turn the entire unit on its side and leave a shelf out is to have the top shelf rest on top of the vertical supports. Turning the entire unit on its side would mean that the top shelf is resting inside the vertical supports instead of on top, and the weight of the tank woudl be supported only by the 4 screws used to put the frame together
    If you use an expedit the top shelf MUST rest on the side panels. The interior bits don't help that much with weight distrubution but they do provide the necessary stiffness. I think I'd rather see about taking a jigsaw to that shelf and cutting a large enough circle in it instead of removing it totally.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 07-18-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast