· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    The canisters that I have used are Fluval 304 and Jeb0(?) (an eheim kn0ck0ff) they b0th have mechanisms in place t0 intended t0 be used as a ball valve but when partially cl0sed will impede fl0w rates. I w0uld just use a pvc T 0n the return line and use pvc pipe t0 b0th sides with end caps, drill the pipes and make a s0rt 0f spray bar which w0uld sl0w the return fl0w and spread it acr0ss a wider area reducing the impact in a c0ncentrated area. If 0u face the h0les t0ward the glass, it w0uld als0 help t0 kn0ck the current in the tank, useful f0r n0t disturbing plants.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I have only used Fluval/Hagen and Rena canister filters.

A pair of Rena XP2 or a single XP3 would work for a 40 gallon tank. You can get spray bars for them to spread out the flow.

From what I have read and feedback from other forum members here, you can't go wrong with a Eheim filter
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    The canisters that I have used are Fluval 304 and Jeb0(?) (an eheim kn0ck0ff) they b0th have mechanisms in place t0 intended t0 be used as a ball valve but when partially cl0sed will impede fl0w rates. I w0uld just use a pvc T 0n the return line and use pvc pipe t0 b0th sides with end caps, drill the pipes and make a s0rt 0f spray bar which w0uld sl0w the return fl0w and spread it acr0ss a wider area reducing the impact in a c0ncentrated area. If 0u face the h0les t0ward the glass, it w0uld als0 help t0 kn0ck the current in the tank, useful f0r n0t disturbing plants.
    OK thanks for that....I'm not dead set on an Eheim, have just been reading great reviews on them
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have only used Fluval/Hagen and Rena canister filters.

A pair of Rena XP2 or a single XP3 would work for a 40 gallon tank. You can get spray bars for them to spread out the flow.

From what I have read and feedback from other forum members here, you can't go wrong with a Eheim filter
    Thanks Cliff, that's what I've heard about the Eheims, too....so the Renas DO NOT come with a spraybar?...I thought all canister filters did...I'm such a nOOb with these things...

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks Cliff, that's what I've heard about the Eheims, too....so the Renas DO NOT come with a spraybar?...I thought all canister filters did...I'm such a nOOb with these things...
    Rena quit including spraybars for cost reasons. If you need one, you can easily make your own. I like the Renas for their ease of setup and maintenance. From what I've read, the Rena media baskets are easy to fill and remove for cleaning, the Eheims a little more difficult. My two XP-Ms will be delivered on Monday!! This is my first experience with a canister.

Link to Rena info - http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...atid=89&id=540

Here is the video of how to setup and clean a Rena - they are using the large model with 3 baskets (this is the one Cliff recommended for you) - best price is $103.59 with free shipping at Drs Foster/Smith online. It's an online price only and no info on how long it will be on sale.The only thing I won't do is use the chemzorb cartridge. I am going to use the foam pieces and the rest will be Fluval biomax and the micro filtration pad.

Last edited by gronlaura; 07-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I have never heard anything negative ab0ut eheims, s0 I'm sure y0u can't g0 wr0ng there.
    @Gr0nlaura- grats 0n y0ur new canisters! Let us kn0w what y0u think 0f them.

Awards Showcase

Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer 
    Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 For your research, well deserved - Slaphppy7 Happy Christmas Cat Hunting! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I just received the Eheim 2213 I am planning to use on my tank. It does come with a spray bar. The only thing it doesn't come with are clear setup instructions! Thankfully there are tons of videos on youtube... lol.

The only way I can see to adjust flowrates are some disconnect valves on both the input and output hoses, meant to make disconnecting the filter easy. I guess you could close them only partially to restrict flow... but not sure how/if this would work.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If they are clearly disconnects- d0 n0t use them f0r fl0w adjustment, it will partially disengage the c0nnecti0n and make it pr0ne t0 c0ming und0ne at a m0st in0pp0rtune time. Y0u can always DIY a little inline ball valve setup t0 adjust fl0w, f0r the l0w l0w (cheap).

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I have never heard anything negative ab0ut eheims, s0 I'm sure y0u can't g0 wr0ng there.

I know Eheims are highly recommended by many forums and members. From some of the videos and narratives I found online, it seems the Renas are a little more user friendly. Now that I will have 3 tanks (OMG!) I definitely want user friendly.

@Gr0nlaura- grats 0n y0ur new canisters! Let us kn0w what y0u think 0f them.

I sure will. I can't wait to take them out of the box and play with them!
    I love fishkeeping!!!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone....I've read that it is not recommended to restrict the flow on the Eheim using the valves because it could cause stress on the motor, overheating it...one thing I read was that you could make the holes in the spraybar larger, decreasing the pressure of the flow...

Still wanting an Eheim, I think, but not sure what size, the 2213 or the 2215

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast