· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I always recommend using both screws and wood glue. A good quality wood glue will hold just as strong (if not more) than the wood screws ever will. After all, that is how they make plywood and laminated floor joists, glued layers of thin wood.

In all the different homes that I have lived in over the years, I have yet to live in any house were the floors were perfectly level.

Make things simple for yourself and shim the bottom of the tank stand with the below shims. Just make sure you place the shims along the bottom of the stand and not in just one spot. You can get these shims at places like Home Depot and Lows where they have doors and windows.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I have seen those shims before, and I know they are readily available...thanks for the input, I'm gonna screw it AND glue it.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Back to the original question, when I first started learning about the canister filters....I was wondering if you choose a canister filter that is rated for 2x your tank size.. ..talldutchie posted this:

Eheim tests on a loaded filter. Their volume per hour is usually 90% accurate.
    With that in mind, is the Eheim 2215, which is designed for a tank size of 93 gallons, a bit of overkill for a 40 gallon breeder?...should I instead be looking at the Eheim 2213, which is rated for a 66 gallon tank...there is about a $30 difference in price, but I don't really care about that, I want maximum and efficient filtration for the 40B

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    0verkill d0esn't exist in terms 0f filtrati0n, maybe 0utput fl0w, but n0t filtrati0n. The m0re the merrier. I have read ab0ut reef setups with 10x v0lume filtrati0n.
    As f0r leveling the stand, always at the b0tt0m. If y0ur canister isn't level it will leave a wedge shaped air p0cket inside at the t0p and may impede the filter. It will als0 put uneven strain 0n the tank stand.
    If y0ur neighb0r has a biscuit j0iner, I recc0mend using it with the glue t0 j0in the w00d.
    When making plyw00d, as Cliff said, they use glue and HUGE am0unts 0f pressure t0 squueze the layer t0gether. A pr0perly glued and fastened j0int will be str0nger than the material y0u are j0ining.
    Pine ply is fine f0r the j0b but I like the th0ught 0f g0ing with cabinet grade ply such as birch, 0ak 0r cherry- it designed t0 have fewer v0ids in the layers than c0mm0n c0nstructi0n sheathing plyw00d.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I always like as much filtration as my budget will allow, provided the flow coming out of the filter(s) will not turn the tank into a "washing machine".

Longshot, I think you might be confusing flow rates with filtration in reef tanks.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that Longshot, I was kind of thinking the same thing on the filtration aspect...and yes, we are going to glue and screw, and it's all gonna be "on the level"...I only need one sheet of wood, so I think I AM going to go with cabinet grade

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I always like as much filtration as my budget will allow, provided the flow coming out of the filter(s) will not turn the tank into a "washing machine".

Longshot, I think you might be confusing flow rates with filtration in reef tanks.
    I may well be, I will openly admit n0t kn0wing the first inkling ab0ut saltwater- except that it is salty. I was sure that I read the pers0n had 10x v0lume capacity f0r filter- i may well be c0nfused, L0L.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post

Hi Cliff,
    So in your opinion, I'd be better off with the 2215 for my 40B?...surely, (I assume) the flow rate is adjustable on all canister filters?

0 Not allowed!
    I would think so, but I have never used a Eheim filter before.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Which canister filters do you have experience with, Cliff?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast