· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Mine is white styrofoam, like the coffee cups are made of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have used the same foam on my last 4 or 5 set-ups. It fiber glass Pink foam insulation. I use the 3/4 inch foam board.
    What is the purpose of the foam under the tank? Is it just insulation to help maintain temperature, or does it protect the tank in some way?

Slaphppy: you mentioned earlier you might add a shelf on top of the filter for supplies, etc. I would need to do the same, but I was thinking that to make access to the filter easier during maintenance, maybe that shelf could be attached to the rear of the stand with hinges. That way, when it comes time do to filter maintenance, the shelf just lifts up and out of the way.

Also, I have a question on stand height. Most commercial stands I have seen are 38" tall. My problem with that height is that the top frame of my 29 gallon would sit at about 56" or 57" -- this is about 6 inches below eye level for most adults. So, when you approach the tank to look at it, you would be looking down straight into the top frame, instead of directly into the tank, and the frame would obstruct your view. You would have to squat slightly to actually see the entire tank. I'm curious as to why stands are not taller? I think the ideal height would be around 44". That would be place the top frame at eye level, so you can see the entire tank without squatting. I do have a 9 year old daughter for whom a 44" stand would be a tad high, so maybe lower it slightly to 42" (or provide a stool for her to use?), but 38" just seems low.

Is there any particular reason stands are not usually taller than 38"? I am probably missing something obvious...

EDIT: Ok, I just thought of a potential reason to want the frame below eye level: access to the top of the tank for water changes, etc... So the frame cannot be too high, but I still think that putting the top frame exactly at eye level you can just use a small stool for water changes, so that the rest of the month you can enjoy your tank fully?
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 07-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    The purpose of the foam is to allow the tank to sit / settle on the stand with completely even pressure. When you make you own stand with wood, there is aways a very small risk the joins may not be perfectly the same hight. The difference could even be 1/16 of a inch which can be very hard to see. Sanding will typically only smooth out the difference, not remove it.

Make your stand as high, or low, as you want it. The hight you choose should be based on what you like, and what you plan to put inside the stand. I made one stand for a 180 gallon tank only 21 inchs tall as I was not putting anything inside the stand and I liked that hight for viewing from my couch. I have made other stands about 34 inches in hight to allow enough room for a skimmer or larger canister filter.

Pick the hight that works for you and your set-up

Companys that make stands only use the average hight they feel their customers want/need
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Other things to consider when building a tank stand:

-Will this need to fit through a door? (i.e. Are you making it in the garage and it's going in the living room, or do you move a lot?)
    -Will you be viewing this more while sitting down? That would lower eye level quite a bit.
    -What level is best for maintenance?

Hope these help. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I am going 36" high because it will be eye level when sitting on my couch...I'd be afraid of a tipping hazard if the stand was too high....That will put the top of my tank at 52", which will be ideal for me (I'm 6'1') to do water changes

After I get my Eheim filter, I am going to build a shelf inside the stand for it, and probably an air pump, to sit on. The height of that shelf will depend on how much lower than the tank I can go with the filter...it will be a small shelf, but I may be able to store a few other things on it as well...

I plan on putting walls on the sides and front, with some simple doors on the front to access my stuff...for now, I plan on leaving the back of the stand open, for filter hoses, airlines, cords, etc...may use zip ties to keep them in place.

And course, we are FINALLY getting some much needed rain here today, and the only pickup truck I have access to is open-bed, so I can't go today to start gathering the stuff I need to build the stand...60% chance tomorrow, too....dang it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The purpose of the foam is to allow the tank to sit / settle on the stand with completely even pressure. When you make you own stand with wood, there is aways a very small risk the joins may not be perfectly the same height.
    So If you were to place a shelf of plywood on top of the frame, would you still need the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I plan on putting walls on the sides and front, with some simple doors on the front to access my stuff.
    Slaphppy, what are you using for the walls and doors?

Awards Showcase

Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    So If you were to place a shelf of plywood on top of the frame, would you still need the foam?
    You would still need the foam. The foam would go between the tank bottom and the plywood top. No matter what you are putting the tank on, you should use foam to cushion for any imperfections in the surface the tank will sit on.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    You would still need the foam. The foam would go between the tank bottom and the plywood top. No matter what you are putting the tank on, you should use foam to cushion for any imperfections in the surface the tank will sit on.
    Got it --thanks for all the great info!

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Slaphppy, what are you using for the walls and doors?
    Even though I plan on painting the walls black, I may spend a bit more and instead of cheap ply, I may use spruce or birch...smoother surface, easier to prime and paint

0 Not allowed!
    I have always like using solid 3/4inch pine for that. Easy to seal and will add to the overall strength of the stand (assuming you also use glue to attach it to the stand), not to mention you will get a stand that will last for many many years to come.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have always like using solid 3/4inch pine for that. Easy to seal and will add to the overall strength of the stand (assuming you also use glue to attach it to the stand), not to mention you will get a stand that will last for many many years to come.
    Thanks for the tip Cliff, and you bring up an interesting point. I was talking to my neighbor yesterday, and he is more than willing to help me with the stand. I have some tools to get the job done, but right next door he has a virtual woodshop with chopsaws, table saws, etc.

I showed him the drawing of what I want to do, and he mentioned wood glue, as if it were a given. He mentioned how it would make the stand much stronger, and I agree. I had not really considered it until he mentioned it, I was just gonna use screws.

The thing is, my house is on piers, and it is not level by any means. The space where I want the tank is one of the more level points of the house, I think. But, if you read gronlaura's thread, the area she wanted her tank to be was not level either. Tha's why she advises not attaching the top rectangle until you have the stand in place, and then attaching the top, as level. That is what I plan on doing.

So what happens if I get the house leveled?. It has needed to be done for quite some time now, and the wife and me are planning to do just that in maybe the next year or so, so that we can do a small add-on to the back of the house.

If the top and walls of the stand are glued, it is at that angle forever, correct?. I know that a screwed and glued joint of wood is actually stronger than the wood itself, so like you say, it would last a lifetime...at the build shape, not at a true squared shape.

I'm trying to think ahead, so I may not use glue at all, or at least not for the top rectangle and the walls.

That way, when and if the time comes to re-level the stand, it is a matter of removing and replacing screws.

I raelize that the actual wall shapes can vary, too, depending on how unlevel the original location of the tank was in the first place.

Thoughts?

My neighbor's suggestion was, if and when we get the house leveled, and it affects the tank level in any way, to shim the stand at the bottom...I kinda agree
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-22-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast