· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Mine is white styrofoam, like the coffee cups are made of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have used the same foam on my last 4 or 5 set-ups. It fiber glass Pink foam insulation. I use the 3/4 inch foam board.
    What is the purpose of the foam under the tank? Is it just insulation to help maintain temperature, or does it protect the tank in some way?

Slaphppy: you mentioned earlier you might add a shelf on top of the filter for supplies, etc. I would need to do the same, but I was thinking that to make access to the filter easier during maintenance, maybe that shelf could be attached to the rear of the stand with hinges. That way, when it comes time do to filter maintenance, the shelf just lifts up and out of the way.

Also, I have a question on stand height. Most commercial stands I have seen are 38" tall. My problem with that height is that the top frame of my 29 gallon would sit at about 56" or 57" -- this is about 6 inches below eye level for most adults. So, when you approach the tank to look at it, you would be looking down straight into the top frame, instead of directly into the tank, and the frame would obstruct your view. You would have to squat slightly to actually see the entire tank. I'm curious as to why stands are not taller? I think the ideal height would be around 44". That would be place the top frame at eye level, so you can see the entire tank without squatting. I do have a 9 year old daughter for whom a 44" stand would be a tad high, so maybe lower it slightly to 42" (or provide a stool for her to use?), but 38" just seems low.

Is there any particular reason stands are not usually taller than 38"? I am probably missing something obvious...

EDIT: Ok, I just thought of a potential reason to want the frame below eye level: access to the top of the tank for water changes, etc... So the frame cannot be too high, but I still think that putting the top frame exactly at eye level you can just use a small stool for water changes, so that the rest of the month you can enjoy your tank fully?
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 07-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.