· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Canister Filters?

0 Not allowed!
    I've read alot about them here, but I only have experience with HOB's...can anyone provide a link or two that maybe will provide some info on these filters?

I'm not sure of the pros/cons of canisters vs. HOB...I'm not even sure how a canister filter hooks up to the tank

If it would be advantageous for me to use one on my future 40 breeder, I would seriously consider one

The little research I have done only tells me that canisters are more pricey than HOB's...

Does the same "double your tank size" principle apply when considering output on a canister, as it does with an HOB?

As always, thanks in advance for everyone's input/comments/suggestions/opinions
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    "double your tank size" applies no matter what kind of filter you are using - they are all tested without media in them so water flow decreases once you put media in them. Cannisters are good because you can customize what media you put into them - they have compartments & baskets - you can add as much bio media or mechanical media as the space allows and the instructions tell you where to place everything.

I use a Fluval 305 which is good for up to 75gal - there are other models too which I'm sure you will see recommendations for - sorry for lack of link - will post one.

Edit: here you go! http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/External - just some general info on the Hagen cannisters
    and another: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...3578/3579/3580
    Last edited by imma24; 07-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply imma24...I've read here about the Eheims, was looking at the Eheim Plus 2215-37, rated for 96 gallons...but it's around $120, whereas I could get an AC110 for about $65, or 2 AC50's for around $70

0 Not allowed!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Canisters certainly have advantage 0ver H0Bs as far as filtering capacity and effectiveness. They 0ffer far m0re media c0nfigurati0n 0pti0ns and by default can can be setup
    "tail0r made" f0r y0ur filtrati0n needs. Setting them up is pretty easy and maintenance is a cinch as well. I w0uldn't c0nsider myself the sharpest t00l in the shed, but I built my 0wn canister setup with external submersible pumps and w0rks like a champ, If I (0f all pe0ple) can d0 it- y0u are a sh0e in! I built my setup t0 0ffer 5x capacity filtrati0n/hr and kn0cked d0wn the discharge f0rce by adding a c0uple 3/4" ID. 90 degree elb0ws which made the fl0w less harsh but still high v0lume. I have 0nly used canisters because they are quiet, have m0re capacity and are very efficient. I am n0t d0wning H0B setups, I have n0 experience with them and can 0nly share my experience with canisters. Price t0 efficiency rati0 seems appr0priate t0 me and w0uld rather pay m0re f0r what I believe gives me m0re. Just my 0pini0n.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks imma24 and Longshot...how exactly does a canister filter physically "hook up" to the tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    "double your tank size" applies no matter what kind of filter you are using - they are all tested without media in them so water flow decreases once you put media in them.
    Eheim tests on a loaded filter. Their volume per hour is usually 90% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks imma24 and Longshot...how exactly does a canister filter physically "hook up" to the tank?
    Usually something like this. You take an inlet crook

And hanf that over the tank with the long bit in the tank. On the other hand you connect a hose and connect that to the filter intake. There's also a return hose which is often connected to a spraybar. A psraybar is a piece of pipe with a stopper on one end and some holes drilled into it.
    The filter itself needs to sit below the tank and can be out of sight.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 07-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tip talldutchie...not trying to be so naive about canisters, I've just never had experience with one or seen one hooked up and running

0 Not allowed!
    Hope this helps. If you don't know something, ask, it's as simple as that.

Now, what I posted above is a typical way to do it but by no means the only way. Only 2 rules apply. The height difference between the tank and the filter has a limit and the filter always needs to sit below the tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I believe I am starting to get it....this "spraybar", it is the return water from the filter to the tank, correct?...does it actually "spray" down onto the surface of the tank water?