· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fish gulping air..

0 Not allowed!
    Just noticed it the last few days. A couple of my fish will gulp air. All my perimeters are fine. They did it before my weekly water change and after. Anything else I should check?
    First tank- 1 Mollys, 2 Platies and a snail - 10G

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears." - Laird Hamilton

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    disolved o2 in the water. you should run an airpump for your fish. ammonia spikes would do that, so wouldnt nitrites. heat will cause less o2 in the water, and it is summer.... what temp is the water?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Mid to high 70s. I have a heater but of course it never comes on with the temp of water. I had a small ammonia spike last week but it came and went within a day. But, they didnt start till this past weekend. What would cause the disolved o2?

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears." - Laird Hamilton

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    dissolved oxygen is a good thing, you need the surface of your water to be disturbed in order for this to occur. If it isnt already, adjust your filter output to be disturbing the surface
    150g Malawi + Cuckoo cats
    45g Community - Pearl Gouramis, Tetras and Crayfish

0 Not allowed!
    it does that fine. So it basically means is lack of dissolved o2?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    correct the o2 is a good thing. if the water is stagnent then the gass exchange cant happen. fish like all living animals use o2 and make co2. without either plants (or enough plants) or surface movement the o2 will be all used up and co2 would be too high. if you are using hob filters you can lower the water level enough to splash on the surface, if you are using a canister filter you can focus the output up at the surface to move it more. or you can add an air pump.

when fish are gulping at the air it means they are generally lacking oxygen.

oh forgot to mention: fish like bettas and gouramis (labyrinth fish) will do this regardless of o2 in the water. they have the ability to breath undissolved o2 from the atmosphere. what kind of fish are these? i forgot to mention this before lol
    Last edited by genocidex; 07-24-2013 at 03:40 AM.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the water surface is very agitated and thats still going on, your parameters have to be off. Although it definitely sounds like depleted oxygen..
    What are your parameters?

0 Not allowed!
    checked earlier tonight and they were 0,0,15. Molly/Platy fish. Ill lower the water level and see if that helps. The wifey loves the bubble wands so I might just go pick one up.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    did you remember to dechlorinate the water? chlorine and chloramine (sp?) can cause gill burn that might also cause this. but seeing how they were doing this before the pwc i doubt thats the case
    gotta love them bunnies!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    agitate that water surface and see if it fixes it. The only other thing i can think of is that the fish have been exposed to high levels of ammonia in the past and have suffered permanent damage to their gills, impeding their ability to absorb oxygen.