· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Question for stocking 150 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Ok guy and gals, I am new to the hoby and have been bothering my local fish store buddy for questions and knowledge. Now I'm asking YOU......
    I have a 150 gallon freshwater set up with a sand bed bed, plenty of fake plants, real rocks and a large piece of driftwood.
    I am ready for fish now, and I would like to get 3 Bala sharks, 2 Clown Loaches, 5 Cardinal tetras, 1 angelfish and a Blue Crayfish.
    Now before you tell me that the Balas and Angelfish will eat the tetras, I know that..... Once they get big enough, but untill then, I would like to enjoy the tetras. My question is, will this be too many fish once the Balas, loaches and Angelfish get full grown?
    Please get back to me asap, as I am looking at puchasing some of the fish later today....
    Also...... could I add ALL the fish to the tank with-in hours of each other. I.E. Add the Angel at noon, add the tetras and Balas, and loaches at 6pm. I will NOT be getting the Blue Crayfish for a couple of weeks....

Or is there an order I should add them. I.E. Angelfish at noon (almost definately today for sure) then Balas later tonight, wait till next week for tetras, then another week for Loaches?

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest, if you want the best out of those fish, I'd say go with 6 balas.... mind you when they get 100% full grown they will probably be a bit too big (about 12"-14").

Try to find a loach that will stay a bit smaller than the clown, they prefer schools.

And unless you really want the angel I'd look for a different fish than that. The crayfish might try to make snacks out of some of the fish too

Is the tank cycled? Do you have a water test kit (or just going off what the LFS says... I personally have been fibbed too just so that I'd buy fish) If it's cycled then you could add all at once if it was cycled properly
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Hardy85, I am going of the LFS testing my water, being new to the hobby, was thinking of buying a test kit today but wouldn't know the first thing about reading them.... Are they idiot proof??? I will look at some other Loaches, just liked the way the Clown looked, and I would really like to have the variety I listed. Please ellaborate on why it might not be good. I don't want to just get 6 Balas, cuz then what do I do with them once they are full grown.

0 Not allowed!
    Both the balas and the clowns are schooling fish, and will prefer schools of at least 6. The angel just seemed tossed into the mix

Have you thought about just doing a few pairs of angels in that tank?

What about a stock like this?

6 Angels
    10 Cory Cats (or another bottom feeder)
    Larger School of cardinal tetras

As for the test kits, get the API Master Freshwater kit. The readings you will want are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and like 5-10 nitrates. If you get 0,0,0 the tank is not cycled and should be cycled before you get fish. Also, if your pH isn't "perfect" don't try to change it, pH swings are tougher on fish than just less than ideal pH. So unless your pH is extreme I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Clown loaches can also be sensitive and tough to raise (just from what I've heard)
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Few alternatives for you to think about in that tank

Congo Tetras

A few types of barbs
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=113071

Rainbowfish

Silver Dollars

These are all great fish that get larger that I'd love to have if I had a 150
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    When I first jumped into having a new larger tank last october I saw what the LFS had and thought that was my only option. I would say test your water and give everyone on this forum a chance to show you some of the types of fish out there. I'm sure we'll have you wondering why you ever considered balas
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the filament barbs, those look cool. I guess I wanted the Balas, cuz they were the closest to looking like a shark, can you point me in another direction for that look.

I would like to have a somewhat docile tank, as I have one albino corycat in the tank already because we baught him for my lady's tank. She had four rosey brabs, and they went after the corycat like white on rice as soon as we released him. Thats how he ended up in my tank.

0 Not allowed!
    what about these - they stay a little bit smaller than the bala

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tinfoilbarb.php
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    As for the test kits, get the API Master Freshwater kit. The readings you will want are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and like 5-10 nitrates. If you get 0,0,0 the tank is not cycled and should be cycled before you get fish. Also, if your pH isn't "perfect" don't try to change it, pH swings are tougher on fish than just less than ideal pH. So unless your pH is extreme I wouldn't worry about that too much.
    +1 to the test kit - many members use this test kit (rather than test strips which aren't worth the money) - it's really important to cycle your tank before purchasing anything - read about the nitrogen cycle (if you are not familiar with it - your LFS probably won't educate you on this because they are more interested in selling fish) - it involves putting pure ammonia into your tank to grow bacteria and support the bioload (ammonia production) of future fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    NOTE* Do not put pure ammonia into the tank with fish in it. And yes, I have heard of people trying this = death sentence for any fish in tank
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread