· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Who keeps killing my otos??

0 Not allowed!
    New member here. Great community ya'll have.

30 gallon cycled tank
    0 nitrite/nitrate/ammonia/chlorine
    ph 7
    extremely hard water (off the charts of test strip)
    79 degrees F
    some visible algae
    heavy vegetation
    56 watts of T5
    no airstone; raised top-mounted filter for 9" deep splash
    weekly 20% water changes + liquid plant fert

9 cardinal and neon tetras
    5 espei rasboras
    3 alive otocinclus catfish (+2 RIP)
    3 german blue rams
    2 neon blue dwarf gouramis
    2 peppered cory cats
    2 cherry shrimp
    2 guppies
    1 grown loricaria catfish
    1 grown siamese algae eater
    2 assassin snails

I got 3 otos 2 weeks ago. One died within days with a tiny part of its tail bitten off. I observed closely for the next 2 weeks to find the slightest signs of bullying to no avail. After 2 weeks, I thought freak incident and got 2 more yesterday. Another just died with a tiny chunk of meat missing from the side.

What's going on? I spend at least an hour daily observing my tank, and I don't see any signs of predatory behavior. Could it be something else?

Also, any other comments about my setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and I will be posting/contributing more in the future.
    Last edited by uqarni; 07-17-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the rams, gourami, catfish, or algae eater could be the culprit, it's hard to say without watching the tank. My guess though is they couldn't adapt to the hard water and the fish got them after the hard water did.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the wounds being after they died.

You could end up with a few problems with that stock tho, if you end up with a pair of rams they will pick on the 3rd. Two dwarf gouramis will beat up on each other. And the SAE will probably end up too large for the tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the insightful replies.

It hadn't occurred to me that the wounds could be post-death. That makes sense. I agree that our stock isn't very sensical; the SAE, gouramis, and catfish were impulse buys by my 12 year old sister while I was at university. I am hoping to trade these for cardinals/otos/rasboras/plants at my local aquarium in the near future.

If we buy more otos, I will take care to acclimate more slowly. And hopefully we will no longer have the SAE and catfish.
    Last edited by uqarni; 07-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Many LFS will take y0ur unwanted fish as surrenders but few will give trade 0r credit f0r them. It w0uld be nice if they d0, just d0n't get y0ur h0pes up. G00d luck with the fish!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by uqarni View Post
    New member here. Great community ya'll have.

30 gallon cycled tank
    0 nitrite/nitrate/ammonia/chlorine
    ph 7
    extremely hard water (off the charts of test strip)
    That's the culprit. You got a selection of fish that's softwater, the ottos are the most sensitive so they go first. I suspect the rams will be next.

If we buy more otos, I will take care to acclimate more slowly.

Do that but they still won't live long

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure you all speak with knowledge and from experience. However, I would like to share these thoughts to maybe show that exceptions to the rule are common:

1. I've had cardinal tetras and blue rams for over a year in super hard water and they're doing great (bright coloration, gained weight, confident swimming).
    2. The 2 gouramis never fight. Though I agree having just 2 isn't ideal.
    3. The blue rams are 2 males, 1 female. The males do battle it out, but I do not think this is harmful. In fact it's awesome to watch! And whenever the female comes into view they instantly stop :).

Again, I'm sure you all are right in general and best practices should be utilized. Just saying there is variation in what can work.

0 Not allowed!
    You asked for advice, you got it. I've seen too many species live very much shorter lives because people insist in keeping them in hard water.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to share these thoughts to maybe show that exceptions to the rule are common:
    If this statement had any sort of validity it would not be the exception it would be the rule. Yes, there are a few exceptions out there, but they are not common.

The problem is, the only way to tell if soft water fish will thrive in hard water is to wait, time will tell. I'm not sure how long the life expectancy of all your fish, and I'm not willing to look it up at the moment, but for the sake of argument let's say it's 12 years under ideal circumstances. Do you think your fish will live that long in hard water? Again for the sake of argument lets assume your fish live 8 years or 10 years, good job but under ideal circumstances they could have lived longer. This in my opinion, which matters only to me, is what makes the difference between average and good fishkeepers and a great one. Great ones are willing to give the fish every chance they can to live as long as possible and not to what is just acceptable.
    Last edited by mommy1; 07-18-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Two Dwarf Gouramis can work in a well-planted tank. Less visibility they have of each other, the better the chances are that they'll be able to cohabit the tank. A 30gal is a good size to house two. I would definitely suggest that if your tank wasn't heavily planted, you shouldn't house two DGs, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Having GBRs living for about a year is pretty good... Most people have a very difficult time acclimating them to their tank's parameters, as they can be pretty sensitive. I know several people, here, have tried and failed - including myself (though, I'm not exactly sure what killed them).

Good on you for keeping a whiptail cat. Pretty cool bottom dweller and you don't see them very often. These are also said to be somewhat sensitive, as well.

Otos, as mentioned, can be very sensitive to your water parameters. Could be they can't adapt to the hard water, or it could be that you have so many bottom dwellers, that they're bumping into each other's territories. GBRs, DGs and even SAEs can be very aggressive. The SAEs really push their weight around, despite their docile appearance - and when it's feeding time, look out.

That being said, are you sure it's an SAE? Does the black line down the middle of the body extend into and through its' caudal fin?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.