· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Temporary Betta Home

0 Not allowed!
    I'm starting a 20 gallon long betta sorority aquarium. Long story short I thought the cycle was completed and it turns out it was not. I had already ordered 6 females online and they should be here by the end of the week. I don't think the tank will be ready for them by then and I'm doing 90% wc twice a day. So I'm looking for ideas on how to keep them temporarily while until my fishless cycle is completed. I would hate to have to turn them over to the lfs.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I would do if your cycle is close.

The day your fish come empty out the tank, refill with treated water. Add fish. Check nitrite and other levels after a few hours and do a water change if needed. The recheck and repeat until cycle is complete.

Essentially I think you should empty the tank and then continue as if you were fish in cycling.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds good but I had tetra in there and the levels spike like over night and killed them. I just don't want that to happen to the bettas so I was trying not to put them in there.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seachem makes a product called stability that can be used for a week to help with fish in cycling. I have not used it but you could look it up to see if that is something you would want to try.

0 Not allowed!
    What particular levels are spiking? Depending on what is doing the spike, ammonia or nitrites, the sudden death of tetras could be due to the particular water treatment you are using.

Seachem Prime will neutralize ammonia and nitrite, and should make the habitat relatively safe, even while completing a cycle. That along with water changes and good monitoring should keep things stable for the fish.

When introducing fish all at once, you are sure to get a huge spike, so be on top of that, seriously. The ammonia will spike almost assuredly.

If it is the ammonia itself that is spiking high, you an also place ammonia chips in the filters. Many do not like these, but they simply turn ammonia into ammonium. The tank will still cycle with them in place, I have done so several times with several tanks and have had no issues with ammonia burn or poisoning while in use. Once the tank is cycled you simply stop using the ammonia chips.

If you choose to use ammonia chips, you will have continual readings of ammonia as most tests are not designed to decipher between ammonia and ammonium. One way around this is to order a Seachem ammonia tag you place in the tank that will give you the safe true reading of ammonia in the tank. Barring that, simply monitor the level, and change water accordingly just as you would for ammonia and you will be fine.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default Update

0 Not allowed!
    Update: Everything turned out great. The seven arrived with torn tails(1st&2nd pic) and to my surprise they all were red and white. I was expecting different colors but I'm happy with what I received. I had one death but that was due to aggression. They all get along now. They do flare up at each other and sometimes follow each other but they don't hurt each other. Their tails have now grown back and a couple of them have developed a fuchsia color on their sides. My plans now are to add some cory cats. I'm also cycling a 10 gallon for another sorority. I'm probably going to move some of the smaller less aggressive females to the new 10 gallon sorority and mix the new more colorful females in both tanks. (Is this a good idea or should I leave this group as is?)

IMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0083.jpgIMG_0088.jpgIMG_0091.jpg