· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question on feeding for my tank...

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have had a 10 gallon set up for awhile, I got a huge snail infestation from I believe the plants I got from a pet store...or from the snail I got from there that went haywire. So I started the tank over without the snails and no live plants. I let the tank cycle for a month or so and then put my tetra's I had back in it and then bought a Betta and the Betta ended up dying.

I have since changed my mind on some things with aquariums and have redesinged my tank and have had it cycled for 3 months with nothing but the 4 Neon Tetra's I had in it. I have decided to start adding more to it.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

That is my final goal with the tank, and right now 2 weeks ago I finished the Neon Tetra's and have the zebra and the Horned Nerite in there. They have made it through 2 water changes and all seems well. I have ordered 15 tiny morimo moss balls to be the only live plants in the tank and to help feed the snails/shrimp once I get them. They should be here in a week or 2, when I get the moss balls, I am putting 10 of them in this tank and giving 5 to my daughter. Once I get the moss balls I will be adding the 6 shrimp and the 3rd Nerite snail.

Then I plan on waiting 2 weeks and picking up my Corys.

My question for everyone here is I have been using http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo Exclusively for my Neon Tetras but in doing TONS of research for my tank I have discovered they need a variety. I tried to feed them some freeze dried bloodworms last night I had left over from my Betta, and they refused to touch them, a couple of them snapped at it and immediately spit it back out.

What should I switch to doing specifically for my tank now....then what should I switch up when I add the Shrimp/Corys?

Anyhelp is appreciated and I am finally satisfied with this setup and want my fish to live a long/healthy life.

Thanks,
    Matt

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    All of my fish love their New Life Spectrum (NLS) small fish pellets. I feed them twice a week. I also feed Omega One Color Flakes & Kelp Flakes and frozen bloodworms, daphnia and spirulina/brine shrimp.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if i was you i would be feeding the cories a sinking catfish pellet (i use omega one shrimp + algae wafers). for your shrimp i would throw in some spinach or kale for them (the snails would love it too) and im sure the cories will eat some. with the neons, you might want to look into getting frozen brine shrimp. they are much smaller than blood worm. i would do this with some higher quality flake food, either nls (never used it my self but its one of the best foods on the market) or omega one flakes (using that for my baby betas now)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    if i was you i would be feeding the cories a sinking catfish pellet (i use omega one shrimp + algae wafers). for your shrimp i would throw in some spinach or kale for them (the snails would love it too) and im sure the cories will eat some. with the neons, you might want to look into getting frozen brine shrimp. they are much smaller than blood worm. i would do this with some higher quality flake food, either nls (never used it my self but its one of the best foods on the market) or omega one flakes (using that for my baby betas now)
    Thanks for the info re feeding the shrimp. I will have Amanos in my 29 gal.

Also for the neons, I would crush the flake food between your fingers while feeding. Omega One is a very high quality flake food. And my fish fight over the NLS pellets.
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Thank you both for the responces.

So it looks like for now I should get some better quality fish flakes for the tetras as a main diet, maybe 5 days a week. Then maybe twice a week feed them some frozen brine shrimp. I was considering getting this at petsmart last night but ended up not getting it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo Would that be ok for them? I know it has different kinds of small food, but I keep reading that variety is better than the same ole thing.

How do I feed it to my fish....they look like they are big chunks of food and I only have a few fish in the tank, I read that you have to defrost it, and that some people use a shot glass with some water. So I'm new to this, could I Just dip the shot glass in the aquarium water, drop the chunk of frozen food in, stir it up until it thaws and then pour it back into the tank? Wouldn't that be WAY too much food for my fish? What if I just poured in about half or less? It seems like it would be a nightmare trying to get the stuff back out of the tank once it got in there is my main issue...

I am assuming once I got my cories in there, they would eat that as well, so if I did some form of frozen food+5 days of sinking catfish pellets for them would that be enough?

Then one final question....how do I feed spinach to the shrimp? Do I just go to the grocery store and buy some and throw it in the tank? Will it sink? How should I prepare it beforehand to be sure that it doesn't have any pestisides or anything that would harm my tank?

Thanks for all of your help!

Matt

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidralyn View Post
    Thank you both for the responces.

So it looks like for now I should get some better quality fish flakes for the tetras as a main diet, maybe 5 days a week. Then maybe twice a week feed them some frozen brine shrimp. I was considering getting this at petsmart last night but ended up not getting it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo Would that be ok for them? I know it has different kinds of small food, but I keep reading that variety is better than the same ole thing.

How do I feed it to my fish....they look like they are big chunks of food and I only have a few fish in the tank, I read that you have to defrost it, and that some people use a shot glass with some water. So I'm new to this, could I Just dip the shot glass in the aquarium water, drop the chunk of frozen food in, stir it up until it thaws and then pour it back into the tank? Wouldn't that be WAY too much food for my fish? What if I just poured in about half or less? It seems like it would be a nightmare trying to get the stuff back out of the tank once it got in there is my main issue...

I am assuming once I got my cories in there, they would eat that as well, so if I did some form of frozen food+5 days of sinking catfish pellets for them would that be enough?

Then one final question....how do I feed spinach to the shrimp? Do I just go to the grocery store and buy some and throw it in the tank? Will it sink? How should I prepare it beforehand to be sure that it doesn't have any pestisides or anything that would harm my tank?

Thanks for all of your help!

Matt
    I buy the Hikari brand frozen bloodworms, spirulina/ brine shrimp and daphnia at PetSmart. I trust their quality. You push the cube out of the packaging with your finger. You can cut it into smaller pieces before you thaw it and wrap & re freeze the part that you don't use. Thaw it in tank water in a small container and then just pour it into the tank. The bloodworms and spirulina will probably be a bit too big for your neons, but the daphnia and brine shrimp should work really well.

I feed my fish every other day and alternate the different foods - flake and NLS pellets, then blood worms, then spirulina/brine shrimp, daphnia and NLS pellets.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Well how i feed my fish, 4 days of omega 1 pellets, 2 days of frozen blood worm / shrimp. Some times i treat them to some raw haddock when i cook it. My fish are on a carnivore diet. I feed my bettas similarly but sub in a pea once a week for one of the pellets.

My shrimp i feed carrots, kale, cucumber, zucinni, what ever fresh vegy i can get. How i sink my food is simple. I break the handel off a plastic fork and the 2 middle fingers. Then i slip on a bio media ring on each of the outside fingers. Any food i stab that into sinks nicely, and no risk with metals. For leafy foods i rinse them off good, and try to stab it in a hard spot like the stem. Remove leafy foods from the tank within 24 hrs so they dont pollute the tank. Harder veggys just throw them in boiling water for 3 mins and then into cold water. When cool stab and sink them. The harder ones ive left in the tank for 2-4 days without seeing any bad side affects. You can also feed the shrimp dries pasta. They love it, i think td told me about that. Remove it after 12 hrs or else it gets messy.

Btw, notice my feeding only adds up to 6 days? I fast my fish 1 day of the week, this prevents my carnivores from becoming too fat and bloated, they wont touch peas. I also try, ye i said TRY to feed them 2 times a day.... That dont happen much....
    Last edited by genocidex; 07-17-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Genocidex what cool feeding ideas!

I put a piece of cantalope in my tank once on a kitchen fork and my shrimp devoured it - will try cucumber next - I keep forgetting they like fresh vegetables.

My fish enjoy flake food with frozen food once in a while - like has already been suggested, you can cut off a piece from a cube, defrost it in tank water and spill it in little by little, watching to make sure things get eaten before putting more in.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Actually i left out part of my feeding. When i defrost my frozen i always add a fish vitamin (vitachem i think) i do about 7 drops with 10mls of tank water. And i feed my fish with a syringe, i have a huge stack of them from when i used to buy those ink cartridge refill kits. Of course they are unused.
    gotta love them bunnies!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I ended up finding all of the fish I wanted in the same day so I picked them all up. The 5 Pygmy Corys ended up dying during the night, my water was perfectly fine but all 5 Corys died. I think they may have been sick from the store, or got too stressed out from an hour drive back home.

Either way I decided that they didn't look that good in the tank anyway as they were too see through and hard to find at the bottom of the tank, so I switched it up and went with a Honey Gourami and 2 more Neon Tetras. Also added 10 tiny Morimo Moss Balls, a small patch of aquatic grass, and 1 Giant Morimo Moss Ball.

So now I have 3 Nerite Snails, 6 Red Cherry Shrimp, 9 Neon Tetras and 1 Honey Gourami.

Here are my questions for the feeding regiment for these guys:

The Neons have gotten used to switching up between http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Tropica...+Micro+Pellets one day and http://www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Supe...e+Color+Flakes the next day.

The Gourami ate some of the flakes last night and the shrimp/snails I think are fine with the plants I have in the tank so I hope to not have to worry about feeding them.

My main question now is I want to add http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo twice to 3 times a week to the feeding schedule.

I am afraid the days I feed the Neons the pellets that the Gourami won't eat because they are sooo tiny. But if I add flakes for him on those days, then the Neons will eat more flakes too and not get enough of the pellets. I could fix that by feeding one day flakes, and one day frozen food. But then the neons don't get any pellets at all.

What would be a good fix for this situation?

Thanks again for all of the help!