· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Post Looking for someone with experience with eels

0 Not allowed!
    I saw some striped peacock eels at my LFS the other day and I fell in love with them. They're the cutest things ever. I started doing some research and found that's actually quite difficult to find anything on striped peacock eels other than this:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/peacockeels.php

According to that I believe I have the space for it. My tank is 30" long x 18" deep x 24" high (56 gallons). I have sand substrate and a lot of hiding places including 2 pieces of driftwood. It is also planted. Will that be enough room for one? My understanding is that they're the smaller version of all the eels out there.

The hardest thing I've discovered that you can't find pretty much anywhere is compatibility. It says don't put them in with small fish. What counts as small fish? I have cherry barbs and bleeding heart tetras. Would it eat those?

If I got the smallest one I could find and it sort of grew up with its "friends" do you think it would still try to eat them when it got bigger?

I would love to have one but if it's going to make all my fish slowly disappear then I think I'll pass and just go visit my LFS and stare at them to get my fix. The way they poke their noses out of the sand is just so adorable! I hear they have great personalities too.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any mid to top level fish that is quick and not small enough to fit into a potentially full grown eel's mouth would be prudent and should do fine. I've even known people who keep them with SA and CA cichlids with no issue. They stay either burrowed in the substrate or at least somewhere in the bottom of the tank exclusively.

Also, they are champion burrowers and could uproot your plants.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the response! I didn't know about the plants so that's definitely something to take into consideration.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a tiretrack eel in the past which is a bit more aggressive than a peacock and he did great with blue gouramis, silver dollars any large peaceful fish just make sure it won't fit in his mouth

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice! I ended up talking to someone at my LFS who knew a bit about eels and they said to go with a yellow tail eel. They're much smaller and more docile. The one that I got is about 5" long and about the width of a pencil. It's super cute.

First couple of days I didn't see it much. Just its nose poking out of the sand in random places all over. Now it swims out in the open during the middle of the day all the time. It's very fun to watch and definitely has a personality. It has become buddies with my angelfish which I think it pretty funny and cute.