· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Endlers are an underrated and beautiful fish. Like I read earlier, I have taken notice of great looking guppys lately. I currently have a male tuxedo male in with my rams here at work and they complement each other well.

Here is hoping I get on some appisto's soon. I am going to be working with my fish club to expand my stock pretty fast.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    So the couple decided to pose for a few better pictures last night. And the apistos are both probably around 1" - 1.25" in size, so still kinda small. The female was actually putting the male in his place last night. Thus the reason he was hiding out in the hornwort

Male - Lower fin by his tail is very long
    2013-07-18_21-56-39_17.jpg

Short fin by tail, black on pec fins
    2013-07-18_21-56-21_132.jpg

Tried to snag a decent one showing the parva rainbows all colored up
    2013-07-18_21-53-34_32.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Those apistos are lovely. I'm tempted to try them out myself in my new tank. Do you know what sort of size that species will get to?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Using this chart, I am almost positive I have a male/female combo (I believe they fit under type 4)

Kj-cichl-1.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Those apistos are lovely. I'm tempted to try them out myself in my new tank. Do you know what sort of size that species will get to?
    The males top out around 2.5"

I have a pair in a 10g and they are very happy

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you trying to breed the parvas?

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    not actively, I honestly really don't know how to breed them. I would love it if they did, but I don't have the means to provide a separate tank right now if needed

Question on that... if I added a school of Praecox (so both are types of Melanotaenia) would they cross - if so I won't add the praecox, but if they can't cross breed I may eventually add some

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    You have a male and female. That male just needs to color up. I can see better in this pic the fleck coming out in him. Maybe just credit it to youth. The female should still be more yellow than that but either way I hope you get some nice fry from them.

The rainbow picture is nice! Breeding them can be easy but not in a heavily stocked tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    not actively, I honestly really don't know how to breed them. I would love it if they did, but I don't have the means to provide a separate tank right now if needed

Question on that... if I added a school of Praecox (so both are types of Melanotaenia) would they cross - if so I won't add the praecox, but if they can't cross breed I may eventually add some
    Yes they could cross breed.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Yes they could cross breed.
    ok, good to know