· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you mean store bought garden soil or compost, I would carefully review the bag contents to ensure that it has not been treated with pesticides. Even if you find no evidence of this in writing, you can't be sure that the distributor did not treat the soil/compost prior to bagging it simply to keep bugs from invading his property. Since it is not foreseeable that someone would use the stuff for something other that gardens, there may be all types of additives that might harm the fish. Just a thought.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lbagby View Post
    She was referring to Limming's post, where he mentioned using "mts" to get rid of gas pockets. I'm curious about this as well.
    I was referring to malaysian trumpet snails or mts. They are normally viewed as a pest but if you have sand they are good at stirring it up to prevent gas pockets.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhh so many acronyms. It gets confusing after awhile T-T There are multiple ways to deal with air. Another easy one is simple take a chop-stick and run it through/stab the substrate. That'll help release trapped air.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That works as well I would recommend the snail route though. With the snails you won't have to spend so much time poking holes in the substrate let the snails do the work for you.
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I could see the benefits to them. I've just seen some tanks online that get INFESTED with mts and no matter what the owner does they always come back when they've been believed to have been exterminated. If you can keep your feedings to the right amount when feeding your fish and can handle them MTS might be a good solution. I'm not experienced with them, but do they eat plant matter? Like will the feed off of live plants?
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    No, MTS will not eat live, healthy plant matter. Just algae and missed food and dead plant matter. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Don't the Miracle-Gro garden soils all contain fertilizer? The Miracle-Gro brand touts its qualities for enhanced plant growth, and the liquid Miracle-Gro is itself a garden fertilizer. I would expect even the organic version to contain organic fertilizers (as opposed to chemical fertilizer).

I wouldn't use any commericial garden soils or composts in an aquarium. There are good plant substrates made specifically for aquariums. Your LFS should have a nice variety. Go to the aquatic plants forum to see what kinds of truly aquatic substrates are being used successfully in planted tanks.

If you do wish to add fertilizers, use those that are made for aquariums such as Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive.

Garden products are for terristrial gardens; aquarium products are for aquariums.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Don't the Miracle-Gro garden soils all contain fertilizer? The Miracle-Gro brand touts its qualities for enhanced plant growth, and the liquid Miracle-Gro is itself a garden fertilizer. I would expect even the organic version to contain organic fertilizers (as opposed to chemical fertilizer). I wouldn't use any commericial garden soils or composts in an aquarium. There are good plant substrates made specifically for aquariums. Your LFS should have a nice variety. Go to the aquatic plants forum to see what kinds of truly aquatic substrates are being used successfully in planted tanks. If you do wish to add fertilizers, use those that are made for aquariums such as Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive. Garden products are for terristrial gardens; aquarium products are for aquariums. --mermaidwannabe
    If you follow your own advice in regards to visiting an aquatic plant forum, you would see that many many people there are using a variety of garden soils for their planted tanks with great success. What are your recommendations based on? Clearly not any research or personal experience in this area, which is what advice should be based upon.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Kingfisher, being a member of a few different forums, including a aquarium plant one, many people use garden soil, dirt from there back yard etc etc etc

A good cap is important. But there are so many different things to take care of with a dirted tank, thus the reason I didn't end up doing one.

But the results are great.

Things to watch for / take care of:
    Once planted, moving plants around can cloud water
    Need a good cap
    Need MTS to prevent air pockets
    Need a safe soil

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hardy is correct but the effort (I haven't found it any different then a substrate like ecocomplet) is well worth it. The plants grow pretty fast (my sword as probably tripled in size in about 2 months) plus its a lot cheaper I spent 10 bucks on the soil then 10 bucks on sand and I have enough to do my 29 and probably my next tank if I go the planted route. On top of saving on substrate outside of maybe iron (you can also bury clay to get around this) you won't need any ferts for a long time. Something thats important is that you need to have good lighting or it well be algae heaven. To combat this set it up just the substrate and water for a week or so and several big water changes this well reduced excess nutrients. Then plant it all at once the plants may look bad for a little bit as they adjust to the dirt but after that period it well look great.