· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Exclamation Is It Ok To Use Garden Soil Or Compost?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, can I use garden soil or compost on the bottom of my tank for fertilisation? I would use gravel over the top though.

Hope you can help out and thanks in advance

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I know, at least from what I've read here, is that you can use garden soil as long as its devoid of certain fertilizers that may harm fish and that you shouldn't use compost or soil with manure in it as it will eventually release methane gas and destroy the tank ecosystem and kill the fish. Don't quote my on that though.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed with the above! Do NOT get any compost/soil with manure.... you WILL regret it. lol

You could get some Ozmocote+ and throw that on the bottom of the tank and cover it up with gravel. That's probably the easiest route.

Otherwise, do some research on organic soil (without manure).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend mircale grow organic dirt. I'm using it in my current tank and there are lots of articles about using it online. Just make sure to let it soak for a few days before filling the rest of the tank up. It is also important to cap it with gravel you can also use sand if you don't mind mts to get rid of gas pockets.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I plan to do the same and from my digging on the Internet everybody that uses soil in the bottom uses miracle grow choice organic soil!!! I mean everybody too

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep thats what I found when I was setting up my tank.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Dumb question...but what is mts?
    Don't poke the crazy

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using John Innes with a fistful of bonemeal, capped with Sansibar. I've been having some problems with fungus on it, but the plants are growing like they're on steroids.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    @1Sarah

Multiple tank syndrome. Its when you've been on this forum farrrr too long and see far to many fish you want so you go out and buy an entire pet store's worth of fish tanks. Luckily for me I still only have 2 fish tanks, but i'm slowly starting to catch mts.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you mean store bought garden soil or compost, I would carefully review the bag contents to ensure that it has not been treated with pesticides. Even if you find no evidence of this in writing, you can't be sure that the distributor did not treat the soil/compost prior to bagging it simply to keep bugs from invading his property. Since it is not foreseeable that someone would use the stuff for something other that gardens, there may be all types of additives that might harm the fish. Just a thought.