· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Betta Fish Fins Look Tattered/ Ripped

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All!

I've been having problems with my Betta, he's a dark/navy blue Veiltail Betta, about 3 days ago I moved him from a 1.5 gallon (5.6L) tank to a 3 (11.3L) gallon tank, and before anyone says anything about it being too small for the betta, I can't get a bigger tank for him because of space problems, he seems happy that I upgraded him from a 1.5 gallon to a 3 gallon. Anyways, I also check my water parameters daily, and the slightest increases in ammonia or nitrite I do a 25%-50% water change . The temperature is also kept at 78 degrees Fareinheit (26.6 Celsius). So my question is my betta for the last three days, has been getting chunks missing from his fins, especially the tail (caudal) fin. It either looks split in two or just wedge shaped chunks missing, like it tore/ was ripped. The first day he was in there he had plastic plants so i thought maybe he got caught on them and so i removed all of them, including the little castle I had for him. Day two, another part of the tail fin, the lower part was again missing, wedge shaped. Because of his color I really can't tell if he's getting black (fin rot) or anything else, so incase it was some kind of fin rot, I started doing 5 minute salt baths using a half gallon (1.8L) and half a teaspoon of aquarium salt. Also, in case it might have been anything else I did a 100% water change. His behavior seems normal, he eats he does everything normal, he flares still. I just don't get what is causing his tail to get ripped, I read up on other people having similar problems and I was thinking, maybe he's tail biting? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Whyistheskyblue; 07-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    10 Gallon- 3 Platies
    5 Gallon- 2 African Dwarf Frogs and 1 Betta Fish
    3 Gallon- 1 Betta Fish
    1.5 Gallon- 5 Cherry Red Shrimp

Check our my youtube channel of my aqauriums!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2z...mc0g4so4p7k10g

0 Not allowed!
    From what you describe I would guess water quality issues. Have you transferred any filters/decorations from the smaller tank to the big one? Or is everything in the big tank new? I don't think that the salt baths are helping the betta at this point. Whatever the betta has does not look serious enough to justify the additional stress of salt baths.