· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Quick Lighting Question.

0 Not allowed!
    Just wondering, do you guys have any light bulb recommendations for my 10 gallon planted? The hood I have can handle up to 15w. Currently I'm using a 15w Aqua-Glo T8 bulb. They're said to grow plants well yet I'm having issues in my tank. For some reason my crypt that gets direct light all day is white-ish and almost looks likes its burning. The others are doing great. Its not my ferts that are the issue as I have root tabs in the gravel, and I dose Flourish and Iron once a week. I'd just like to see some improved growth.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering if the color temp might be a problem. Yeah, the label says it's good for growing plants, but it's also saying it's 18000K! I know it's best to aim for 6500K in general, and about 5000K-10000K is acceptable.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    That's what I was worried about. I don't exactly understand lighting too well. It all confuses me. Is 6,500K the best number to shoot for? Could you maybe recommend which of these is best?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12765

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3816

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3787

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4489
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    Just wondering, do you guys have any light bulb recommendations for my 10 gallon planted? The hood I have can handle up to 15w. Currently I'm using a 15w Aqua-Glo T8 bulb. They're said to grow plants well yet I'm having issues in my tank. For some reason my crypt that gets direct light all day is white-ish and almost looks likes its burning. The others are doing great. Its not my ferts that are the issue as I have root tabs in the gravel, and I dose Flourish and Iron once a week. I'd just like to see some improved growth.
    What I did was go to Lowes and got some of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302257-3-269...lbs&facetInfo=

My plants grew like crazy.

Here is a video of how it would look in your tank:

It's much brighter than the video shows. I had to lower the exposure so it wouldn't have such a glare. The long flowering stem on the plant to the right side of the tank grew about 1" every day. Yes, every day. Those bulbs work wonders. Just be sure to get the proper wattage for your tank. Mine in the video was a 20G Extra Tall. Twice the height of a standard 10G.

EDIT: Oh, and about the wattage/fitment. Those bulbs screwed into my fixture just fine. I just had to remove the plastic cover that comes with it. Keep an eye on your water temps, too. My heater hardly came on during the day while the lights were on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The hood I have for my aquarium doesn't allow screw in bulbs, it uses bulbs with the pegs. I didn't want to increase the wattage I was just looking for something that was better than what I have. As it seems 18,000k bulbs are not exactly the best choice.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with a 65k bulb I've switched one of my 10ks to a 65k and its made a ton of difference in the look of the tank (to soon to tell plant growth).
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thank you so much :D

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    That's what I was worried about. I don't exactly understand lighting too well. It all confuses me. Is 6,500K the best number to shoot for? Could you maybe recommend which of these is best?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12765

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3816

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3787

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4489
    6500K is the closest you can get to the light from the sun at noon, so I would look for that. The bulbs in the first and fourth link are both just right, color-temp wise. The third one isn't quite as good, but still acceptable for plant growth. The second bulb is the same color-temp as what you've got in right now, so no good.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Put it simple, go below 4000k or so and you'll get very little plant growth. Go over 8000 and you're running the risk of an algae farm. 6500k is nice, looks pretty natural and is also sold as daylight lamp.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12765 Is Hagen, a reasonably reliable brand and I like the way it handles the spectrum. That's the one I'd buy

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good info in here.

IF you wanted to get the bulbs I recommended, you could find a cheap hood that takes incandescent bulbs quite easily. I agree that 6,500k looks great, and with proper wattage, will grow plants like crazy. I never used a fertilizer or C02. Just light for about 7 hours a day.