· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Got myself a longfin BN pleco by accident; behavior and sexing advice needed.

0 Not allowed!
    My original pleco is bulkier and larger bodied but had similiar sized fins so I was wondering what was up; so I did some research and it seems the new guy is a longfin BN. They had it labeled as a bushynose albino pleco; he seems much more docile than my other guy as well. My normal BN will whack my corys or anything that comes near his zucchini with his tail but this guy doesn't.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have 2 6'' plecos rampaging around my planted 29g so I was wondering when I can sex them? The normal BN is about 3 inches the longfin about 2 and a half inches including the tails. Not to mention the bioload being immense with 12 inches of pooping plecos.

I hate the thought of giving one away but seeing how my normal BN acts I couldn't imagine 2 full grown BN in there at the same time though my longfin doesn't exhibit any aggressive behavior. I had adult BN before but never a longfin and never grew them up from babies like this because I always had large cichlids or catfish. Has anyone else noticed the longfins being more docile as well?
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 07-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    tbh the reason the longfin might be more docile than the normal is because it is having difficulties swimming. thats the problem with longfins.... not sure when you can sex them sorry
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Thing is, people treat anything bristlenose as the same species. It's not.

Normally you could sex these after about 6 months. 2 males is indeed too much in your tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had the regular guy about 3 months and the longfin maybe 1 both bought as babies; so basicly if I don't see any bristles when I hit the 6 month mark it's safe to say I got a female? That applies for both species I take it.

They really started to grow fast when I got them to eat zucchini for some reason they refuse any other vegetable at least my normal one did and I tried everything. I don't know how I'm going to get zucchini in the winter they don't sell it around here and I tried freezing it but it turns to goop when I defrost it. You would think they wouldn't care if it was zucchini or cucumber but they can tell.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't blanche it when you freeze it. I thaw mine and it stays on a fork.

Rub a fresh clove of garlic over another veg and see what that does.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to try that; thx always good advice man.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The normal BN has 2 growths on his head I'd imagine that's all I need to know he's a male but ill give it a lil time n see. I'm debating keeping the graceful long fin; they got more in so i could buy 1 or 2 more and take my normal one back. Odds are in my favor to get a male; I really don't like how aggro my normal BN has become some of my corys have fin splits from him!! the thought of him being 6 inches and doing it worries me while my long fin BN are so docile and much better looking tbh.

Getting the normal BN out will be hell I'm thinking put a net down with zuchinni in it and waiting to spring it otherwise I'll have to rip all my tank apart :/
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 07-23-2013 at 05:16 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Zucchini in the net at night worked perfect! neat way to get em out easily. I picked up 2 baby longfin albino BN so now I have a sub adult and 2 babies hopefully I got a male between the 3.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also my sub adult pleco shares the zuchinni and doesn't swat at anyone so my corys feel comfy around it and it even shares with the baby plecos; WAY more docile than the normal BN.