· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Stationary Cories

0 Not allowed!
    I got some 4 Julii cories a few days ago (among other fish) and today, since I got home a little bit ago, I noticed 2 of them are just sitting on the bottom in the same spot. One of them has moved a little bit, but he'll find a new spot and just sit there. The other one has been in the same spot at the back of the tank since I noticed. Should I be concerned about this? I've never owned cories before so I'm not familiar with their behavior. Water parameters are fine and the other 2 cories and other fish in the tank are acting fine. They were all active earlier when I fed them.

0 Not allowed!
    Sitting on the bottom for the majority of their time is precisely what cories do. Everything from their flat undersides to their lack of swim bladder indicates a benthic lifestyle. When introduced to a new tank some cories may swim around constantly before settling down. Is that what you consider "normal"?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know they're bottom dwellers but they're usually pecking all around in the substrate, as 2 of them are doing right now. I haven't witnessed them sitting in one spot yet. It has only been a few days so maybe they are just now settling in. While staring in at them, one of the ones that isn't moving appears to be a false Julii while the other 3 are Julii's. They all school together when they're being really active, scaling the walls and whatnot.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no real expertise in cories but I do home 3 of them in my aquarium. Madagascariness is correct as I can tell. The cories sometimes flit around and play, but a lot of the time if you see them doing too much running around it is anxiety. I literally had a corie panic itself to death. It was sad. They are sort of lazy fish. Mine spend about equal parts of the day rooting around and sitting there doing nothing. Could be that they are sleeping. I catch my fish sleeping a lot when my feeding, lighting or other patterns change. It's kind of cool actually. Some days I work so late and so long that I feel like I should feed them when I get in at 2am and they will be awake late because I am, but if I have class in the morning they are still asleep and I will catch them sleeping really late in the day :) It's cracks me up to see my Fancy Goldfish sleeping because he's so big and its the only time you will just see him sitting on the bottom.

0 Not allowed!
    Keeping cories in groups that are not the proper size will cause them to behave differently due to stress. A larger group would make them feel more comfortable and secure. They also need an area in the tank where they can feel hidden if they feel stressed.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    My corys are always sitting somewhere on my substrate when they aren't roaming around the bottom - sometimes they are more hidden - they choose all sorts of places to rest.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I have 7 corydoras sp black venezuela in a 10 gallon qt and they are either all over the bottom of the tank flitting about or resting in small groups... pretty much the same as my false julii & peppered corys in my 45. The only difference I see is the qt has less hiding places so I have to be careful to not stress them when cleaning & doing pwcs