· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Fish

Hybrid View

1. Cool Sick Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Up until about 2 weeks ago I had a perfectly happy healthy 20 gal tank. I had 3 guppies (one very pregnant), 3 Glo tetras, 3 black skirt tetras, 1 powder blue gourami, 1 albino pleco, and some inherited snails from the plants. I am running a Eheim canister filter and a bubble/LED wand that's on a timer and the tank is equipped with a LED day/night light.

My pregnant guppie gave birth and only one survived. A couple of days later one of my male guppies (the older) died for no apparent reason. I was having trouble reading the temp on my therm strip so I replaced it with an in tank type. I noticed that the temp read outside of the "safe zone" marked on the thermometer so I gradually (one or two degrees a day) reduced the tank temp so that it now reads at the top end of the "safe zone" (approx 78/80 degrees). A couple of days ago I noticed a white something on my now pregnant again female guppie so I went to Petco (there aren't any local fish stores that carry fresshwater fish in my town so my choices are limited to Petco or Petsmart) and picked up Primafix because it said it would fix what I though my fish had. Well I've been following the directions and the white seemed to be disappearing but today we woke up to find the female guppie dead at the bottom of the tank. Last night we also noticed the same type of white stuff growing on one of my Glo fish's eye so apparently the Primafix isn't what I need.

We had a similar situation with my 10 gal tank several months ago and it completely wiped out the tank. After the last fish passed I gave up and broke the tank completely down scrubbed it and set it up again. I didn't add any fish to it until I had tested the water and everything had leveled out and the water was ready. Now we have a bug-eyed goldfish in it and nothing else will survive with him but that's a whole other thread.

I really don't want to lose the battle in my 20 gal tank as I've had it successfully set up with these fish for a good while and am happy with it and up until a couple of weeks ago, it was happy with my care.

What have I done, what is wrong with my fish and how can I fix it without hurting any of my fish or plants? I'm a novice when it comes to terminology and such so please be as specific and simplistic as possible when responding.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

0 Not allowed!
    do you know what your water parameters are (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)

Few questions:
    How long has the tank been running?
    What are water params? What are you testing with?
    What size filter do you have?
    Did you clean/replace filter media (you shouldn't do this)
    Did you remove carbon (if any) during the medication process
    What is your water change schedule? Do you use a dechlorinator each time?

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with all above questions

Sometimes newly introduced fish can bring illness with them, but if your tank is "established" (meaning it has been running for a while - like at least a few months), fish can become ill if they're "stressed" - this can be caused by poor water parameters, lack of cleaning, fish acting aggressively towards other fish, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There hasn't been any sign of aggression except toward the poor little babies that were consumed by the other fish. Could the birth of the fish caused stress? I was not intentionally breeding, supposedly all the guppies I bought were female but obviously they weren't in the right tank. Thanks large chain stores. lol

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Getting a bigger tank for your goldfish isn't a bad idea either, not familiar with American names but i'm guessing a bug eyed goldfish is the same as a blackmoor which can get 10 inches.
    15 Gallon Tarantula tank - Completed. - 1x Lasiodora parahybana
    55 Gallon South-America tank - Neverending. - 10x Nannostomus trifasciatus, 4x Corydoras aeneus, 2x Megalechis thoracata, 2x Acarichthys heckelii
    15 Triassic tank - Planning started. - Possibly a healthy group of Triops cancriformis

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We realize that Mr. Funny Fish will eventually outgrow his tank but my son had to have the funny fish with the funny eyes. This particular fish was a reward for doing good in school and it's hard to explain to a 4 year old that the fish will get too big for his tank so we bought him when he was small so he would be able to spend longer in the small tank. More than likely he will end up in the big tank once he is unable to move easily through the decor in the 10 gal tank. Or he may be adopted by another family we know who has a 55 gal tank. Either way he is the only one in his tank at this time and seems to be very happy.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This tank has been up and running with the fish listed since around Christmas if not a little before. Not sure the params, I do have a API Freshwater testing kit that I use. The filter is an Eheim EccPro 200 canister I believe. (I'm at work right now so I don't have all my info in front of me) I have not changed the filter or messed with any of it since it's set up in April/May. For the most part I use the "if everything is working and happy don't mess with it" philosophy. I do use a dechlorinator every time I add water and typically I need to add 1.5-2.5 gallons every 3-4 weeks because of evaporation. I test the water and based on results I do water changes as needed. I don't think there is a carbon filter in my canister. That's part of the reason I moved over to a canister is because it seems to be a more natural process with less chemicals and has allowed a more natural ecosystem to evolve in my tank. When I add water I will also add Stresszyme to keep the fish happy and once a week or so I will add plant food to the water for the live plants.

0 Not allowed!
    when you get home check all your params

my guess is that something is up a bit, maybe high nitrates. I personally recommend a 25-30% water change per week, lots of things the api test kits don't show us that can change in the water and cause problems.

You may have had 1 few die that you didn't notice and it caused an ammonia spike (from rotting in tank)

Check those things, also, check the flow from the filter, sometimes the tubes can get clogged which reduces filtration. You can also rinse the media (stuff inside filter) in old tank water to clean it out when needed if it is blocking flow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kati1999 View Post
    This tank has been up and running with the fish listed since around Christmas if not a little before. Not sure the params, I do have a API Freshwater testing kit that I use - The fact that some of your fish are showing signs of illness is a good reason to use the test kit & check your water parameters.. The filter is an Eheim EccPro 200 canister I believe. (I'm at work right now so I don't have all my info in front of me) I have not changed the filter or messed with any of it since it's set up in April/May - Good choice : ). For the most part I use the "if everything is working and happy don't mess with it" philosophy - however, you are now dealing with fish illness so you need to see why. I do use a dechlorinator every time I add water and typically I need to add 1.5-2.5 gallons every 3-4 weeks because of evaporation. I test the water and based on results I do water changes as needed - It would appear that that's not often enough - most forum members change their water, no matter what their parameters are, once a week - if parameters aren't good, water should be changed more often. Besides, if your tank is cycled, your parameters should not change - they should show 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites & 20ppm or less nitrates. I don't think there is a carbon filter in my canister. That's part of the reason I moved over to a canister is because it seems to be a more natural process with less chemicals and has allowed a more natural ecosystem to evolve in my tank. When I add water I will also add Stresszyme to keep the fish happy and once a week or so I will add plant food to the water for the live plants.
    Please see my responses above
    Last edited by imma24; 07-15-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate all the water change suggestions but I feel like that is the most obvious answer. I guess I was looking for a little more in-depth response like what exactly could be wrong with the fish (ie ich, fungal infection, pop eye, etc) and what needs to be added to the water to fix the fish before they die as well.

While I realize that a water change will correct the levels in the tank, will it fix the fish or do I need to do something in addition?

Considering not all my fish are sick I would like to save as many as possible. I've noticed that most of the instructions on the treatments at the store direct you to use the product for a week or so and then do a water change. Will doing a water change mid treatment mess up the progress in treatment? I was planning a water change and gravel vacuuming since that is when the "treatment" I initially started at the on set of this problem would be complete. Being that I work full time, have a small child, and are pregnant, mid-week massive tank cleanings are extremely difficult if not impossible.

With no real diagnosis or idea of what to do other than a water change, I stopped by my big box pet store last night and picked up a treatment that is supposed to help with ammonia and nitrate levels and Melafix. I realize that the ammonia fix is a temporary solution and I still need to do a good water change but I felt it would be an immediate help until I have time to properly fix the levels. I haven't tested yet (my kit seems to have grown legs as many thing in my house do) but I agree that it is possible that the ammonia and nitrates are high.

Have any of you had any experience with the Melafix? It seems to have helped the Glo fish's eye and no other fish are showing signs of illness so I think I may have at least stopped the problem from progressing which was my immediate goal.

Again I do appreciate the suggestions and help in this matter, just looking for a little less obvious of an answer.

As for losing a fish and not noticing, that's not possible. I keep a close watch on my fish and the tank is right beside the couch in our living room. I think my husband and I spend more time staring at it than the TV these days. I love to observe their behavior and watch the ecosystem at work. So to note, there have been no signs of aggression, everyone is still eating as they should (even those that died were eating normally up until death), and the Tetras are still schooling.

Thanks again for all the help and attention to my tank issues.