· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Female bettas

1. Default Female bettas

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! I am rather new to fish keeping, I currently have a 20 gallon community tank with 3 swordtails (1 male, 2 females), 8 neon tetras and 2 Corys (Corydoras agassizii). But I've fallen in love with bettas!!
    I have two empty 5 gallon tanks so i was wondering if I could have 1 female betta and 2 or 3 corys (not sure which kind) in one of them. Is that ok?
    Can I add more female bettas? Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    You could have a single betta of either sex in there, but I do not think that multiple bettas will work in a tank of that size. Maybe a few females will get along but it will still be cramped. I would not recommend cories for that tank. For one they are social and should be kept in groups of 6+ individuals, and that will require a tank a lot larger than 5 gallons.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pygmy and dwarf cories stay under an inch. A female betta and six of either the pygmy or dwarf cories would work great.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    6 corys of any type is way to many for a 5g. A 5g tank is the minimum size for 1 beta with nothing else. With something a bit bigger like a 10-20g you could have a few female bettas and some corys. Female betas do fine together as long as their all added at once.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've always wanted to do a "sorority tank" as they're called, with multiple female bettas. I wouldn't recommend putting a betta and cory's in such a small tank. There wouldn't be anything wrong with having a female betta in that 5 gallon though. If you want your betta to have friends, you can pick up a couple ghost shrimp and put them in there with her. Depending on your betta, they may become food, but that is an option if you absolutely have to have something else in the tank with your betta.