· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Neon fading and then colors up again

0 Not allowed!
    I have a newly cycled 26 gallon tank (did it fishless), numbers are 0,0,10. Introduced 10 neons 2 days ago and then 7 celestial pearl danios yesterday afternoon, also have a juvenile albino pleco, nerite snail, and 1 ghost shrimp. Everyone seems to be getting along and the danios often school with the neons.

Last night, after observing everyone all day and seeing no issues, I noticed one of the neons had faded in color. Fearing NTD, I scooped him out and quarantined him (yes I probably should have kept them separate to begin with). After about an hour I saw that his color was back, second guessing myself I put him back in with the rest and everything looked good. A couple hours later however I noticed it again. 1 neon faded compared to the rest, which I'm assuming is the same one since I cant tell them apart :p So I have left him over night in a 1 gallon bowl with a bubbler and gravel bottom. His color seems to be back again.

So now what to do?
    I feel like keeping him in a tiny bowl by himself is only going to cause him more stress, but I don't want to risk putting him back with the others.
    Anybody else experience this?
    I will be picking up a 2.5 gallon with sponge filter this afternoon. Should I put him in it and watch him for a while, maybe add a couple of the other neons so he's not alone?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Tank 1: 1.5 gal planted male crowntail betta tank
    Tank 2: 26 gal bow front- planted with sand and drift wood- currently cycling

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Neon Tetras have a normal behavior of fading color at night when the lights are out to make them less visible to predators while they are less active.

Was this at any point related to a change in lighting, such as turning the light on/off ?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    Neon Tetras have a normal behavior of fading color at night when the lights are out to make them less visible to predators while they are less active.

Was this at any point related to a change in lighting, such as turning the light on/off ?
    That would have been my response too :o) Sometimes they also fade when you do a water change. Could be it's just the new surroundings and it will take him a while to get used to the tank. As with people, some fish adjust faster than others.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I have read about them changing with lighting. It was evening and the room was dimly lit, but light on tank was on (bright LEDs for plant growth) and just the one of ten fading got me worried. But I would assume that if it were NTD a faded tetra wouldn't recolor. Just check him and he is just as red now as the others. Guess it could just be he needs more adjusting than the others. New surroundings and new tank mates are a lot to take in.

Would it be safe to put him back in with the rest or should I set up the 2.5?

Thanks a bunch!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Decided to put him back in with the rest. Everyone looks good and acting normal. I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sounds good
    I would have put him back with the rest as well, letting him get used to his new group and permanent surroundings. Hope all continues to go well
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    You said it yourself page_of_concrete, a neon wont re-colour with NTD. I agree with both comments above from Trill and fishmommie. This one was just a bit nervous and has the ability to over come it.

Nice water parameters!
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought the same thing when I first got mine. When lights are off they fade in color to a point where they don't even look like neons. Same thing with the rummynoses. I was like wait...what happened to their noses!! But then when lights turn back on the color returns.

Get some more ghost shrimp! Many places sell them as food (5 for a dollar) but they are cool little guys.

One thing I learned is it best to ask questions because there are a lot of informative people on here. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the last few days have been pretty stressful (so much for a relaxing new hobby!), I'm unsure what to do next so any recommendations are appreciated.

I have lost 4 of my 7 cpds. First one was a little over 24 hrs after introducing them. I had been watching everyone for any signs of abnormal activity but at the time didnt notice anything, stepped out for a few hours and came back to find him bobbing up and down from the bottom of the tank. Removed him to quarantine but he was gone soon after. The next morning I awoke to 2 more having passed in the night. After some research I now realize I may have witnessed some fin clamping and shimmying. So last night when another is clamping his fins I put him in a quarantine tank. Woke this morning to find him alive, not clamping his fins but hanging out near the top of the tank. An hour or so later he's lying on the bottom of the tank.

So back to the neons...After reintroducing the one that was faded he seemed to be brighter and blended in with the rest. He has however not really been as deeply colored as the rest but acting normal so I figured he was just a little shy. Last night when I'm getting ready to turn off the light I notice two are now lighter, but since it was night I thought wait until the morning and check again. Still two are lighter and upon closer inspection this afternoon I notice one has a little bit of what looks like perhaps columnaris on his upper lip. It's not to fuzzy- kinda looks like a mustache.

So I've been researching all afternoon but just feel overwhelmed with the possibilities. Is it NTD and the cpds are being affected? (They are juveniles and pretty small) Is it columnaris? Is it something else? What to treat with?

I am thinking of just returning the 2 neons (got em at a big box store that closed before I could get there so they are here for the night) but am concerned for the rest. I am considering treating the tank and just removing the snail and shrimp if necessary. The meds I have at hand are: Pimafix, Maracyn Oxy, and Coppersafe.

Will any of these work and not negatively affect my plant and BB?
    Any other ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    My guess is that you added a lot of fish too soon. Yes, the tank has been cycled before, but the amount of bacteria present may not have been able to cope with the sudden load of 18 fish and various invertebrates. Have you kept testing the water every day? It would help to understand what is going on in your tank. If this scenario is indeed the case, as shown by increased ammonia and nitrite, the solution would be to change lots of water frequently to keep them down until bacteria grows. Essentially a fish in cycle.

You want to treat the tank, but what for? Do you know? Never treat without knowing what you are treating for. Bacteria will not be harmed by anti parasite medication. For humans, Diuretics will not cure pneumonia.