· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba View Post
    If you really want the labs you could get some Yellow Tail Acei, they have a temperament more compatible with labs and look kinda like rusty's.

As for sand, I use sand in all my tanks but I prefer to spend a little more to get something I know will work well. I use cichlid aragonite sand in my mbuna tank. Yes it's a little more but the fish love it, it's safe, and it helps keep the water ph stable.
    ph out of my tap is around 8-8.5. so i kind of got nice water for them

Im going to look into cichlid sand but if its just to expensive i`ll go look for pool filter sand unless it ends up looking alot better.Because im going to be spending alot on dry coral for the tank as it is was thinking of ordering 50lbs of it.But its going to take me a while to put this all together im just working small little jobs at the moment can`t find anyone good to hire me.

Also they don`t have to look like rusties i just wanted something to go with the yellow labs and more colorful the better and being that tank is 45 gallons isnt 7inch yellow tail acei to big?

dwarf mbuna list:

(i just don`t know what goes together good also credit to list goes to:http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/i...2&topic=1369.0)
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 07-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also if anyone can name some off this list that will go with yellow labs please let me know so i can look at them up.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to be so late on this. Cichlids pop well with dark sand, you could consider black Diamond sand for a color swap.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    omg i love the black sand!!! lol u sold me on it xD n its only like 9$ for 50lbs 0.o omgggg awsommeeee

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Sorry to be so late on this. Cichlids pop well with dark sand, you could consider black Diamond sand for a color swap.
    do u clean Black diamond sand the same way as normal sand? with half bucket or less n use hose to flush while shifting it around?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I have not cleaned the sand ever. Im the rare exception i guess? I just lay it in, get it damp, hardscape, add news paper over the sand and fill the tank. You can run floss through your filter to take any floating particles if they exist. It will clear in less than 12hrs.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In a tank of that size, I would do 2 species of 1m/4f. There just isn't enough room long term to house larger groups and larger species. The rock work alone will take up a lot of the space. Yellow Labs and one of the dwarf species, maybe an Afra type. I would absolutely rule out any Acei. They just get too big and need plenty of room to swim. Sand color is a matter of preference.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm well i know i want the yellow labs like i said im just trying to find a good counter balance for it as for how many i was going by chart for dwarf snice they liked it over stocked. OH! if someone can name an easy to tell gender that would be nice that would go with labs. but idk i could change my mind if u guys wanna show me 2-3 types of Dwarf cichlids that go together well i can judge then.
    150L - 39.6258 US gal (10-12 Dwarf Mbuna)
    180L - 47.551 US gal (12-15 Dwarf Mbuna)
    240L - 63.4013 US gal (15-25 Dwarf Mbuna)
    300L - 79.2516 US gal (25-35 Dwarf Mbuna)
    400L - 105.669 US gal (40-50 Dwarf Mbuna)
    500L - 132.086 US gal (50-60 Dwarf Mbuna)
    600L - 158.503 US gal (60-80 Dwarf Mbuna)
    700L - 184.92 US gal (80-100 Dwarf Mbuna)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i don`t mind haveing 2 sets of 1 male 4 females thought im just having trouble picking thought cause i don`t know which types get along with other types XD and ontop of that to be able to find in my pet store lol

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not going to be popular here but 45gal is, in my opinion, not big enough for mbuna cichlids. The problem is compounded by the fact that that tank is a high - not a long. Have you considered some of the smaller Tanganyikan species instead? I think you could keep a couple of altolamps in there with a trio of leleupi.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~