· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default The Hillstream Loach a Pleco Alternative?

0 Not allowed!
    Recently I have been looking for a good alternative algae eater to the common pleco. In my search I have considered ottos, snails, and rarer plecos such as the butterfly and the bristle-nose. However, I also discovered a fish of particular interest to me called the Hillstream Loach and I was wondering if anyone had some experience with these fish either good or bad. Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hillstream loaches need a specialized tank that imitates the fast moving and highly oxygenated streams they come from and most of our aquariums are not properly set up for them. I would not recommend them for a tank unless it was set up especially for them.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with that!

For those that believe in having in an algae eating fish in the tank the common bristlenose is probably the best choice. Robust, doesn't grow nearly as big as most others and it actually does eat some algae.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept almost all the most common algae eating critters in one or more of my tanks and the species I've been most impressed with is the nerite snail. They've done a wonderful job in any of the tanks I've put them in.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. While I was doing some research on the Hillstream I found that they shouldn't be kept in temperatures above 75 degrees, and where I live it's a battle to keep my aquariums below 80 during the summer months. I like this idea of the nerite snail Brhino. I kept one many years ago when I was just a youngster and remember it being quite the voracious eater.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe hillstream loaches eat algae anyway. If I recall correctly, they eat the fauna that lives on the algae/rocks.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    correct. They're aufwuchs grazers but relatively clumsy ones so algae does get removed.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used to have a tank with 2 Pseudogastromyzon myersi, they were somewhat aggressive towards eachother but other than that they're pretty cool fish though they need a specific tank.