· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My Fancy Goldfish Eating Algae wafers?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a chinese algae eater who is still a pup. I am trying to get him onto algae wafers early so he doesn't become a menace in the tank when he's older. He's still a little guy as I said, so I only put small pieces of wafer in at a time. My fancy goldfish, however, will eat anything. If I put anything less than half a wafer in my goldfish will eat it. He almost looks like he's choking on it. It takes forever to "chew" (maul) lol. I have never fed him pellets. Maybe this is normal. I am thinking the wafers may have the same consistency. Anyone think this is a potential issue or is a little piece of wafer possibly a good additive to his diet if not just a good snack?

On the same subject I read that the elodea is a great plant for goldfish. The forum article says fancy goldfish will eat this plant but it grows fast enough to sustain the grazing of the fish. My thoughts are that maybe I can keep my fish off the junk food by growing his veggies right in the tank. Maybe he'll be less a glutton. I know commercial foods have starches and other crap in them that I don't want him eating too often. I use brine shrimp once a day, and blood worms twice to three times a week.

Any thoughts on growing julius' veggies in the tank so he can graze?

Also what of the wafer eating habit he's onto?

Eat YOUR Veggies!!!

0 Not allowed!
    goldfish are omnivores and in the wild they eat a lot of vegetable matter. algae wafers really shouldn't cause problems, and most commercial ones are full of fish meal anyways. for growing live plants for the goldfish to eat, you might have to grow them separately as the fish will probably shred the plants to pieces. a tub outdoors would work well.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    for growing live plants for the goldfish to eat, you might have to grow them separately as the fish will probably shred the plants to pieces. a tub outdoors would work well.
    lolling

yes. He's like a misbehaved dog to whom you come home to find the couch cushions ripped to shreds.
    I have anacharis and another plant in there. biggest problem is that he digs. The dojo loach does sometimes also. I am in the market for a new larger tank for them. Once I get it I am going to do the mineralized soil substrate for my plants, cycle the tank, and add the fish. Hopefully this will add a bit more security for my plants. Right now they are struggling to stay rooted in sand substrate, very little of it to boot. I only added 7lb to my 10 gal tank. Recommendation is 10+

thanks for your suggestions :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i may be wrong or misled but

i think I have read on here many times that a 10 gallon tank is somewhat small for a goldfish of any kind . Forgive me if I'm wrong but thats just my thoughts on that.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry just reread your post and you did say you were getting a larger tank . my bad I hope you accept my apology.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.