· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    If I needed 150 watts for a submersible, can I get by with the 200 for the in line?
    That should be fine.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! Looks like my equipment list is starting to take final shape. Time to hit online stores :-)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure what lighting you decided on but you should be able to find some great deals online right now for the marineland double brights, they give off great low light and their 'shimmer' effect is pretty nice in my opinion.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    @Taurus: Thanks for the feedback. 2213 it is :-)

My tank will sit prominently in the living room, which took a lot of negotiating with the wife. I am trying to keep it as clean-looking as possible so she doesn't regret the decision to let me put it there. As a result I am now looking at the Hydor inline heaters. I do live in a place with winters and the room can get as low as 60 degrees at night, or even for prolonged periods when we are on vacation. Since yoru advice i for a 150 watts submersible, do you know if I would also need 150 watts of in-line heating, or are the two not comparable? Hydor makes a 200 Watt and a 300 Watt version. If I needed 150 watts for a submersible, can I get by with the 200 for the in line?
    Below is a link to the specs for the Hydor inline heaters. The 8 or 14 degree difference is between your lowest room temp and the desired tank temp. The higher the difference, the more wattage you need. In winter, my room temp gets down to 62-65 deg, so I will get the 300W for each of my 29 gals, just to be sure I have enough wattage to keep the tank at 74-75 deg. I'm thinking you might need the 300W, which fits on a 5/8 inch canister hose. The 200W would be just enough. If your hose is a different inside diameter, you will need an adapter.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/9/list/3
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-18-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Below is a link to the specs for the Hydor inline heaters. The 8 or 14 degree difference is between your lowest room temp and the desired tank temp. The higher the difference, the more wattage you need. In winter, my room temp gets down to 62-65 deg, so I will get the 300W for each of my 29 gals, just to be sure I have enough wattage to keep the tank at 74-75 deg. I'm thinking you might need the 300W, which fits on a 5/8 inch canister hose. The 200W would be just enough. If your hose is a different inside diameter, you will need an adapter.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/9/list/3
    It's an 8 or 10 deg difference, not 14 deg. Sorry for the typo.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    @gronlaura: Thanks for the chart! The maximum temperature difference my tank will ever experience is 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) on very cold winter nights where the room can go down to 60 F (15.5 degrees C)... and I may actually increase the room's thermostat a little to increase that to 63 or so, so the maximum difference ever possible is 15 degrees F (8 deg C). Usually, however, the tank will sit at about 9 or 10 degrees F above room temperature (about 5 degrees C). According to the chart, even with the 18 degree difference the 200 W should be able to maintain a 48 gallon tank. It sounds that 200 W is plenty for my 29? As you can tell I am trying very hard to avoid any type of adapters between the canister outlet hoses and the heater... it just seems like one more place for a possible leak. I think I will try it and report back.

@mojosodope: I am still debating between the hidden led system and the double brights. I would prefer the hidden ones because I love the fact that they are invisible (and cheaper!), but at 25 PAR at 12" they may or may not be enough light for even a low light tank. On the other hand, the double brights might be too much light, and I start to fear algae if I only have low light, slow growth plants with no CO2... I am hoping to find someone that can confirm they are successfully growing anything with the hidden LEDs, otherwise I will go for the double brights.

I also saw thsi cool video on youtube with a mod for the hidden system:

for about $10-$15 in parts it is extremely easy to turn the hidden leds into a day/night system with a timer where you have day light for a few hours, moon light for a few hours, and no light for a few hours... i know I will want to try doing that at some point! So, my more rational side is telling me to go with the double brights, but my irrational side wants an invisible light that I can mod later. Let' see which side wins ;-) If I end up getting the invisible LEDs I will report back on my success (or lack thereof) in using it to grow low light plants, so others facing this choice in the future will have at least one data point.