· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect. Sounds like a plan! :-)

Also, I started reading about the plecos... I guess you are recommending one to help keep any possibility of algae under control? it says that the bristlenose pleco can grow up to 15 cm, which is relatively big! I think I would prefer a much smaller one (or even 2 smaller ones) rather than such a large one, because all the other fish i will have are small. Are there any smaller varieties that are easy to keep? I found the Ancistrus Claro (Gold marble Bristlenose catfish) but not sure if it is comparable or easy to keep. Any other smaller plecos?

0 Not allowed!
    BN plecos typically are 3-4" full grown, but are longer and skinny... and actually they don't do great when it comes to algae control. But more for a lower level fish that will help a little with algae

You will be the primary way to get rid of algae, otos are another option but I have found that they really don't seem to last long in the aquarium setting. I know people that have different experiences, but I feel like i lose one every month or two for no apparent reason.

Cory cats could also work, but I recommend pygmy cories if so

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Cory cats could also work, but I recommend pygmy cories if so
    I agree with pygmy cories for the bottom portion of you tank. I'd also suggest 6-8 harlequin rasbora and 6-8 columbian tetra.

I think you've made and excellent choices for equipment.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could always go with nerite snails for some character....and they really like to eat algae. The eggs from them wont hatch unless you have a brackist water tank so you would not get overrun with snails.

0 Not allowed!
    @Hardy85: thanks again for all your great feedback... you are rapidly adding to my reading list (which is a Good Thing!). The pigny cories sound very much like what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I think you've made and excellent choices for equipment.
    Thank you! The feedback from everyone here has been extremely helpful. I am still undecided on lighting... I really had my heart set on the hidden led system because I love the clean look it provides, but I guess the jury is still out on whether they provide sufficient light. And I guess the consenus is to go for the higher filtration of the 2213. So, My list is essentially all set, time to hit the online stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    You could always go with nerite snails for some character....and they really like to eat algae. The eggs from them wont hatch unless you have a brackist water tank so you would not get overrun with snails.
    Snails! That is something I had not even remotely considered. Time for more reading!

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you'll ever be sorry for going with a canister filter. Canisters hold so much more media that it makes them highly efficient and the 2213 has been a work horse for years. With a little luck and regular maintenance, the 2213 may last a life time. And the spray bar can be adjusted as needed.

Hardy85 had a really good suggestion for lighting with a simple, inexpensive incandescent hood with CFLs. If this were my tank, I use this lighting setup before I spent a lot of money on LEDs. LED prices will come down over time, so you can always upgrade at a later time. You simply won't have that much money invested in a dual incandescent hood with CFLs.

The Aqueon Pro heater is a good choice as well. I've had very good luck with mine. I have a 100 watt in a 29 gallon tank and a 200 watt in a 30 gallon tank. The 150w is a better choice for a 29 if you live where the winters get cold.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-17-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Was g0ing t0 suggest snails as well, but the Lady beat me t0 it.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    @Taurus: Thanks for the feedback. 2213 it is :-)

My tank will sit prominently in the living room, which took a lot of negotiating with the wife. I am trying to keep it as clean-looking as possible so she doesn't regret the decision to let me put it there. As a result I am now looking at the Hydor inline heaters. I do live in a place with winters and the room can get as low as 60 degrees at night, or even for prolonged periods when we are on vacation. Since yoru advice i for a 150 watts submersible, do you know if I would also need 150 watts of in-line heating, or are the two not comparable? Hydor makes a 200 Watt and a 300 Watt version. If I needed 150 watts for a submersible, can I get by with the 200 for the in line?

Because of my desire to keep a very clean-looking tank I really like the hidden leds. They are $45, so they are not as expensive as others I have seen which cost $200 or more. My only concern is whether the light will be enough for low-light plants, but I have heard from others who are successfully using these same leds in a low-light, low-tech tank. I think I will give it a try to avoid any complaints from the wife (a benefit which is definitely worth $45!). It is not so much a case of wanting to get a low cost fixture, as it is spending $45 so my wife doesn't regret the decision to let me put the tank in the living room :-)

@Longshot -- ok, two votes for snails... I have already started reading up on them. To be honest it is not somethign I would have ever considered on my own!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Sand is a cheap, good looking substrate since you can use pool filter sand for white looking, or black diamond for a black sand
    Sand sounds very cool! The black diamond looks stunning! Question: would you vacuum sand just as you vacuum gravel? Would the vacuum not suck the sand up and out of the tank?

If usign sand, would I need to add some nutrients mixed in (or underneath) the layer of sand, such as laterite or similar stuff? Since most the plants I am considering do not really go into the substrate (anubias, jave fern, java moss) I am guessing I won't need to mix or layer this with anything, but want to make sure.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are doing anubius, java fern and moss you don't need any nutrients. And to vac the sand you hover the gravel vac about 1/2"-1" above the sand to suck the junk off the top.