· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy plants?

1. Default Easy plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to replace my plastic plants with some real ones, but don't want to complicate things too much at this point. Down the road I may try my luck at a true planted tank, but for now I would like to find some easy low tech, low light plants to make the tank look a little more natural. It is a 20g with the Marineland LED kit and a fine grain sand substrate.

Any suggestions on plants that I can add without CO2, changing substrate etc? I don't mind adding some flourish or other plant food as needed, but otherwise just want to keep it simple.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am growing java fern and amazon sword as my first plants without problems. I think the recommendation on the Amazon sword is moderate lighting but they have outgrown everything in my tank with cheap lighting, but maybe I got lucky. Plants with bigger leaves gather the available light. You'll need to dose food for best results. Also clip dead leaves as soon as possible (you will likely get some). You will love the results of live plants. I pulled all plastics out when I switched.
    Last edited by calebtrueblue; 06-05-2013 at 07:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on your lights really. Anubias and java fern will do well when tied to the decor. Eloda, bacopa and water sprite will do in just about any tank with only a touch of general liquid ferts. All these should do in low light.

0 Not allowed!
    The below thread might be helpful as well

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I started this hobby about a year ago, and i have tried a handful of plants...
    - Anubias Nana
    - Anubias Congensis
    - Java Fern
    - Cabomba
    - Moss Ball
    - Giant Hair Grass
    - Dwarf Hair Grass
    - Micro Sword
    - Amazon Sword
    - Cryptocorene Wendtii
    - Cryptocorene Spirilis
    - Banana Plant (water lily)
    - Aponogetons

Out of everything I tried, so far, my favorite two are Anubias Nana, and Cryptocorene Wendtii.

Both are very hardy, slow growing, with low light and nutrient requirements. My Crypts have grown well in sand and the Anubias tend to do better if attached to rocks or driftwood. I dont use CO2 or fertilizers. just the light and natural fish poop that comes with your tank.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a radican sword alive for a year and a half. Must be a tough easy to keep plant. I'm not so much the plant sort of fish guy.

0 Not allowed!
    If you got some decent lights plants are not nearly as difficult as most people think.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if these lights are 'decent' - they light up the tank nicely. This is what I have: LED Lights

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that is super helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The below thread might be helpful as well

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a Amazon Sword, a Java Fern and a Anubias Nana.

The Java and Anubias are tied to a piece of wood, but I wondered about the Amazon Sword. I buried it in the sand, but is there anything that needs to be exposed like the java and anubias?

I also picked up some Florish Excel and added some of that.