· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default over flow box with sump?

0 Not allowed!
    Still making finishing mark ups on this 150g+55g sump. One thing that was brought up to me was waste. Basically he doesnt want to just skim the top of the tank like a section of over flow pipes would do. So i was thinking an overflow box would be the answer. Of course diy. Not 100% on how those work. Any ways if im thinking wrong here let me know. He wants something that will pull suspended particles out of the water like a power filter would do. This would also give me a great way to hide the overflow pipes.

So heres my plan:
    One larger ish water tight box except the lid. This will be the box. Im thinking of trying to make it 6" long 4" wide and 20" deep.
    The tank will have 1 2" pvc pipe going from the tank to the box, this will hold a siphon. This will keep the box's water level the same as the tank.
    Inside the box will go the classic overflow pipes that would set the water level in both the box and tank.
    Of course im adding a mesh to keep fish outa the pipes.

Any ways... Would this work for what i need? I forget the flow rate i was shooting for (the specs are on my computer) but i think i found the 2" pvc to have a gravity feed of above what i needed.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Any ways... Would this work for what i need? I forget the flow rate i was shooting for (the specs are on my computer) but i think i found the 2" pvc to have a gravity feed of above what i needed.
    With overflows it is always a good idea to take what flow rate you need, then go way over it. When you get near the max flow rate for them you run into all kinds of odd things. Mostly you get noise. Occasionally they will make little whirlpools that make an insane amount of noise.

Also those U pipes work great, but they will get air bubbles in them and eventually break the siphon. You can go primitive and just stick an airline in it and suck out the air every few months, or you can get an aqualifter and create constant suction to always keep it a siphon.

Having trouble picturing what you are doing. Is the box inside the tank?

Are you looking to avoid drilling the tank?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    he doesnt want to drill the tank. the box im thinking of is going behind the tank. ill draw something quick one sec.

on the break the siphon thing, im sure it will break with his weekly water change, going to make a good way to redo the siphon.

Untitled1.jpg

thats what im thinking about, this seems like would solve a few issues. 1 it would hide extra pipes, 2 it would allow for suspended paticles in the water to be removed instead of just the surface being skimmed, 3 the box would be drill able so we can probably loose the mess of pipes in there. and im sure im forgetting something. but yea, that was my idea, in theory it should work.... right?

also the pipes will be 2" pipes, and the pumps im using to return im estimating 1000gph, counting for loss of flow with head weight. the 2" pipe should give me 2200gph estimated.
    Last edited by genocidex; 07-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Aqualift keeps it simple. Constantly applies suction so if the siphon breaks it will pull the air back out by itself. Just need to "prime" it by putting water in the outside area...if that makes sense. Its liks $8. Totally worth the peace of mind.

You making a PVC overflow or an acrylic one?
    Last edited by Scrup; 07-24-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: *peace piece

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    not sure what we would make the box out of, just seeing if this idea would work.
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Both will work just fine. Neither will remove debris off the bottom very well.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    well i basically want to make the acrylic style one. i figured the if i make it right i would be able to set the pipe as low in the tank as i would like and that would pull crud out of the column of water instead of just from the surface
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Just saw your pic.

That siphon wont break unless the boxes drain.

Try and set it up like this- http://0.tqn.com/d/saltaquarium/1/0/...koverflow1.jpg

The difference being the bottom of the U pipe staying submerged no matter what. and the pipe going to the sump is at the bottom. No need to have 2 siphons to manage.

Even then, you will still need to over time get air out of it. Can just attach an airline to the top with a check valve.

This will remove suspended particles. Still won't remove them from the bottom very well though. Any chance you could do UGJ? That would solve this problem.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    we were planning earth eaters and fine pfs. idk if those would work. i think i can set it up like that. i was thinking the earth eaters will be throwing crud up into the tank alot so i wasnt counting of too much settling lol

also, i was planning on making the box the same height as the tank, if i did it that way, wouldnt the siphon keep as long as we dont drain the tank below either of the ends? not including the air build up.

something maybe like this?
    Untitled1.jpg

that red bit of pipe should catch air, i can find something clear to see the water level there, and add a check valve with an air line to remove the air the traps there. seems good in theory

idk why that big picture didnt update but the small one did...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by genocidex; 07-24-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    gotta love them bunnies!