· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Compatibility Question

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm about to (hopefully) get some Neocaridina Heteropoda wild type. 14 young adults. Right now the plan is to put them in my 10 gallon. My current tank inhabitants are 1 Dwarf Gourami, 4 Julil Cory's, and 4 ghost shrimp. Normally I would never think of putting 14 shrimp in this tank, as I would assume I'm pretty close to stocked up for the small 10 gallon but Aqadvisor tells me with everything, including the 14 new shrimp, I'll be at 92% stocked, and my filter will be at 140% capacity. Does this sound like an ok set up? If it raises any alarm for anybody, let me know. I can always split up the new group of shrimp and put some in the 10 gallon and the rest in a pond we have out front.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From what I understand shrimp have a very low bioload, and they eat any excess food that falls so they help clean up too.
    Don't poke the crazy

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I've been doing a lot of research on shrimp recently and you're right. I guess I'm more concerned with the Cory's, as they're bottom feeders, and the 18 possible shrimp having to compete for the bottom.

0 Not allowed!
    Cories will only take a newborn shrimp if they happen to stumble upon one.

0 Not allowed!
    It depends upon how aggressive the shrimp are when it's feeding time. I have shrimp in my tank and they will grab food before the corys get to it - sometimes knock them out of the way - you just add a bit extra.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. I feel a little bit more at ease. I've been watching my Cory's swim all over the tank, up and down the walls and such, so I'm guessing they'll be ok when it comes to feeding time and such. IDK how Neocaridina Heteropoda (wild version of the RCS) will act but the ghost shrimp I have in there now, don't swim up during feeding time. Instead they wait for food to fall to the bottom, then they rush over and grab it. It should be fun seeing how the new shrimp react.

I'm definitely getting the 14 shrimp now. I won an auction on aquabid this morning. I got them for a steal too. Only $3.00 for the shrimp plus $12.00 for shipping. I'm thrilled.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lbagby View Post
    Ok. I feel a little bit more at ease. I've been watching my Cory's swim all over the tank, up and down the walls and such, so I'm guessing they'll be ok when it comes to feeding time and such. IDK how Neocaridina Heteropoda (wild version of the RCS) will act but the ghost shrimp I have in there now, don't swim up during feeding time. Instead they wait for food to fall to the bottom, then they rush over and grab it. It should be fun seeing how the new shrimp react.

I'm definitely getting the 14 shrimp now. I won an auction on aquabid this morning. I got them for a steal too. Only $3.00 for the shrimp plus $12.00 for shipping. I'm thrilled.
    Congrats on winning the shrimp. Can't wait to see pics of the new inhabitants!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    It depends upon how aggressive the shrimp are when it's feeding time. I have shrimp in my tank and they will grab food before the corys get to it - sometimes knock them out of the way - you just add a bit extra.
    This species isn't. It's not an issue with them and my pygmy cories even.