· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pretty new to the hobby and i need some help with fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, im pretty new to the hobby i've had an aquarium for about 1.5 year but never really done any research only done as the one i bought the aquarium told me.
    I would want something diffrent then my tetras something that lives at the middle/bottom of the aquarium that fits well with my south american neon and kardinals, just learned i had kardinals aswell the old owner of this tank said there were only neon tetras in the tank and the small ancistrus i believe he said. This weird but awsome fish had to move though he kept tearing my plants from the sand. was plastic plants before i got the tank but i didn't like the plastic look on them so i got some real plants.
    If there are any other fish thats not tetras that comes from south America that would fit in the aquarium i got i would love to hear some information about them, like species if there are a certain groups of fish i could get, also how many i should get
    I don't want to get any fish from another continent since i feel like mixing fish that don't live in the same water as one and other is not kind.

I also have a question about my neon and kardnials they seems like they fight a lot, do i have to many of them so i should remove?

The aquarium is a 100 liter (29 gallon) thats heavy planted with lot's of driftwood and a Ph at around 6.2

I was also told that the price of the aquarium was so high since it came with a top notch filter for the tank says Fluval 205 on the filter was i just cheated on the tank or is this a top notch filter for the aquarium?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    How many neons and cardinals do you have in the tank? With schooling fish like these the more the merrier. There are several fish that can go in your tank, but until we know how many you already have it is tough to make a recommendation.
    Fluval is an excellent filter brand, but the 205 is a bit small for your tank unless you keep the tank stocked very lightly. If you want to increase the number of fish you might want to buy another filter to go along with the one you already have.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i think there are about 30 give or take a few with close to a 50/50 ratio of neons and kardinals, There is another filter in there aswell that the last owner said came with the tank when he bought it new, but he had no idea how big it was. only thing i can see on it is that is says "eheim" but are the tetras fighting? they seems to all go into a ball then spread out to redo it probably once a week to nearly every day. I was also told that this many fish works in this tank since these fish are very small, i wouldn't even say they are an " maybe close to an " on the biggest ones

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    According to Aqadvisor your tank is approx. 80% stocked so you could add some other fish, but not too many.
    Some fish that might be nice to add are some Hatchetfish, some Cories, some Pencilfish or a set of Ram cichlids?
    Just make sure you don't overstock it.
    About the tetras fighting i can't be sure, i don't think they are because tetras usually are pretty relaxed fish or atleast mine are, my tetras really like to school and even school with my pencilfish which also seem to love the tetras company.
    Got about 20 tetras and 15 pencilfish and they're doing fine.

0 Not allowed!
    I respectfully disagree on adding more fish to this tank - 29 gallons and 30 fish - ok if only neons but with the cardinals in there I think it's more important to make sure the filtration is adequate.

Do you own a test kit? Have you been changing the water and vacuuming the substrate? Are you aware of "cycling" - the point of test kit is to make sure your tank is cycled - you need to be taking readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates - if your tank is not cycled and has poor water parameters, this could be stressing out your fish and making them fight with each other, along with having too many fish in there IMO.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of a kit that came with an Eheim filter, they usually come with cheap filters. 30 cardinals/tetra must be an impressive sight, I would love to see a picture of the tank. Your description sounds like they are just schooling, which is what schooling fish do, I wouldn't worry about it.
    You could probably add another neon or cardinal or two but Imma24 is correct, your tank is pretty much fully stocked regardless of filtration.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I would request you do a couple things - read the cycling sticky's, get a liquid test kit, read the e-book on the site.

Its great you have neons/cardinals, they are a great fish and its great you have plants as they eat nitrate and help buffer the tank. The only thing I would add to this tank are som type of dwarf cory - 6 of them. However I would not do so until the filtration issue is addressed, we get a picture of the tank, we get an accurate stock of the tank (5 off matters) and we make sure you are testing at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 15 or less nitrates.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I assume by "fighting" you mean the fin flaring and little zigzag-teleport dance that two fish will occasionally engage in?

That is mostly harmless, and nearly always safe for the fish. Those are males, and they are establishing the social order. It happens mostly when new stock are added, but there do come times that the order is ruffled and reshuffled during breeding times. (Don't worry, you have a near zero chance of eggs hatching, and a 100% chance of any such hatchlings being devoured.)

Add another thicket of small leafed plants to the tank if it bothers you. They don't establish territory, at least not in the traditional sense, but more hiding spots and fewer sight lines seems to curtail the behavior a bit.

Neon Tetras offer a very low bioload, so you can put a fair number of them in even a small tank. Cardinals are effectively the same fish that gets slightly larger and has a red belly. They school together. Both are usually skittish, as they are the food fish of choice of most of their biope mates.

Your filtration is more than enough... Neons/Cardinals are fragile. Ammonia doesn't cause them to act weirdly or fight... ammonia causes them to swim in spirals and go belly up.

Adding new fish is tricky. Most of the panfish shaped SA tetras are nippy. Neon's favorite tankmates come from other parts of the world. SA Cichlids eat them. Any larger fish can scare Neons, literally, to death. However, you might try:

Otocinculus, tiny suckermouth catfish, eat algea... leave plants alone, doesn't dig. Supplement with algae wafers or veggies on a skewer.

Corydoras species... any work, but the smallest ones that would look best in a 29g are expensive.

Hatchetfish are top level swimmers, from nearly the same habitat.

Rummynose Tetras are the right size for your tank, look different from your current stock, and live in the same waters. Neons are not usually too bothered by them.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a test kit and everything says zero apart from nitrate that says 4. I really don't want another schooling fish that lives in the top and mid levels of the tank, i guess the rummynose are mid to top swimmers. i looked at corydoras species and they seems to big to get a real school going, i know 6 is enough but i don't count that as a school maybe 20 or so at the minumum for a nice group, and the corydoras that looks the best do get quite big 7cm while my tetras are about 2 cm, thats nearly 3 times the length. Would a pair of GBR work? did some reading on them and they do get around 5cm but you don't have so many of them.

By fighting i mean every one rushes towards each other and then straight up in the air and the water gets a bit cloudy after it. happens about once a week or so.

0 Not allowed!
    What test kit did you get? Strips or a liquid kit? I'm not familiar with a reading of 4 for nitrates - that scale normally goes 0, 10, 20, 40, 60, etc. - a safe reading is 20 or less

NitrItes, however, can have a reading of 4 - that scale goes 0, .25, .5, 1, 2, 4 - if that's the reading you're referring to, that's pretty dangerous- nitrItes in a cycled tank should be 0

Ammonia also has a scale like that - starting with 0 and increasing to .25, .5, 1, 2, 4 - if your ammonia is up to 4 you are also in trouble - ammonia should be 0 in a cycled tank too
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in