· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Do I have room to add a dwarf african frog?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have a 20g tank, set up for about 6-7 months or so. I'm using the 50g aquaclear filter that filters 200gp/h at max. I do 20% water changes every two weeks and chemical tests once a month.

The tank has:
    2 black tetras
    1 guppy,
    6 cherry barbs,
    2 golden snails

I originally had mostly guppies, but the females kept dying during when they got pregnant and I eventually took all the babies to the store to get the barbs. The tetras were to help control the guppy population but I decided to keep them and the most colorful guppy.

I really want to get a dwarf African frog but will the bioload be too much for the tank? I want something in their to help clean up clean up food that falls too the floor. Plus they seem really cool! I'm not worried about compatibility since all the fish and the frog are peaceful but can my tank take the frog without problems?
    Last edited by ArrowCrab; 07-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you want something to help with the food remains get a gravel vac and possibly a few cherry shrimp. Bioload of the frog should be possible but with barbs in there I'd be worried if it can compete for food.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do a vacuum sweep of the sandbed with every water change. I actually had cherry shrimp at one point but they didn't last long so I'm hesitant to get more.

The barbs are indeed aggressive eaters, but I usually feed enough that theres always flakes settling on the bottom and I've noticed the fish generally ignore that.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with dutchie, i think shrimps are better cleaners and there's quite a variety of them.
    15 Gallon Tarantula tank - Completed. - 1x Lasiodora parahybana
    55 Gallon South-America tank - Neverending. - 10x Nannostomus trifasciatus, 4x Corydoras aeneus, 2x Megalechis thoracata, 2x Acarichthys heckelii
    15 Triassic tank - Planning started. - Possibly a healthy group of Triops cancriformis

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you may be overfeeding your fish. You shouldn't have so much "extra" food "laying" on the bottom of your tank. I would try feeding less. I know I never thought I was overfeeding, but after I started feeding only once a day and just a smaller amount, my aquarium is clearer, my perms are inline, and most important to me, my fish are much more active...always swimming around, looking for food in the substrate, and come flying up to the top when I do feed them. A lot more fun to watch then when they had an abundance of food laying around.

Ghpr13:)
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP