· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default inputs on the first draft of a 150g stock.

0 Not allowed!
    well i was just handed a blank slate for a 150g tank. its a standard 150g (72x18x28") and we are setting up 55g sump (adding about 40g of volume). i want to keep the stock on the lighter side of full, so im not taking the 40g extra into account here.

12 boeseman rainbows
    (edit: might want to substitue the rainbows with congo tetras)
    a pair of severums (hoping to get red heads)
    2 BN plecos
    3 pictus cat fish
    1 Cuvier Bichir
    1 angel fish

the last 2 are the only fish thats a must to keep, as they are in way too small of a tank.

seems like everything should work just wondering if any one has any insight. btw the angel is full grown (about 5 yrs old) and the bichir is in danger of being stunted.
    Last edited by genocidex; 07-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats to you on the new tank! The bichir likes higher PH as do do the rainbows and even though they aren't from the same region, should be good together, especially if your water is around 8 PH. I have an albino BN pleco and think he is one of the coolest fish I have. If you get, I would def get the male (so they have the bushy nose) and would make sure it is long-fin sometimes called butterfly fin. I'm sure you know the catfish are a schooling fish and would be better with 6 or so but I've seen them solo too and they appear fine. Still though, there are some cool African catfish that you could go with (upsidedown are really fun). Bumblebee goby, I know are small, but go with the bichir too.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    well the upside down cats are in play, but i think he wants to stay away from those. i knew the pictus liked groups i wasnt aware they liked a full school. might be able to give him a school of them then.... not sure thanks for the input. i think the water is very neutral 7.1 ph and like 7*kh.... not 100% on that tho
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    12 boeseman rainbows
    (edit: might want to substitue the rainbows with congo tetras)
    a pair of severums (hoping to get red heads)
    2 BN plecos
    3 pictus cat fish
    1 Cuvier Bichir
    1 angel fish

SOUNDS COOL! I just have one worry about the Cuvier V the Pictus:

FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    you think the bichir and the cats would fight it out in a tank with such a big tank?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    well the upside down cats are in play, but i think he wants to stay away from those. i knew the pictus liked groups i wasnt aware they liked a full school. might be able to give him a school of them then.... not sure thanks for the input. i think the water is very neutral 7.1 ph and like 7*kh.... not 100% on that tho
    yeah they don't really school, more of a shoal. I never kept them but I know people who have 1 or 3 in their tank and they do fine. When I see them in the nice lfs where there are like 25 of them in a small tank, they swim together and look really cool. The pictus look like sharks! They are very active whereas your birchir is not.

I had idea before to do African tank with birchir and upsidedown catfish for bottom, butterfly fish for top, and congo tetras for school. Could also add leopard bushfish, ropefish, or knife fish but they would eventually get pretty big and snack on small catfish.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I dont think they will fight, I think the birchir will eat them flat out when he puts on size.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dont the pictus get to be 6" ++? I know birchirs can get over a foot but wow!

I think a tank with school of Congos tetras and some medium/large African oddballs like mentioned above would look really cool. Add some mopani wood with anubia and you got yourself a cool biotope. The Angel isn't African but since it is large, should have no compatibility issues.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Remember when you see a birchir... its much like a large mouth bass, in that its mouth is the biggest part... If it fits... it ships... They (the cats) are mostly nocturnal making them easy pray for the slower moving birchir and they stay on the bottom making run ins really common. I dont doubt the coolness factor, I just dont like the idea of the birchir. I think they belong in a tank like this with small gar and such.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Well that one of the 2 first that have to come. Sadly to say the bichir is in a 29g tank.... Ik ik ik but its not my tank and its hard to explain to someone about tank size vs fish size. He had 2 balasharks in a 55g if that tells u anything lol
    gotta love them bunnies!