· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default ripped dorsal fin?

0 Not allowed!
    Tennant flared his dorsal fin at me today and I noticed it looked like a small section had been taken out between the bits that hold it up? He hasn't flared before and it wasn't noticeable when it went down to half-mast. Should I do something about it or just let him be? It doesn't look infected or anything and it seems very clean, more like something done with a blade than something done by another fish or just general rot. I've only seen his fin at half mast before so I don't know how long it's been like this though. I use API stress zyme and stress coat, as well as quick start and tap water conditioner and preventative meds (Mardel Sentry Parashield and Mardel Sentry Batershield) in the quarantine tank (where he's currently living). I was planning on moving him and Eccelson to the 40 gallon breeder tomorrow and let them establish their hiding spots before I add Smith to join them as I observed him being a bit of a bully (but there's 3 fairly large mollys in a 5.5 gal quarantine so I figure that's just over crowding stress...) but his bullying was more aimed at Eccelson.

I also have Pimafix and Melafix, though I would rather not use them.

P.S. There's also a new, young, rainbow shark in the quarantine, although Rainbow Jack has been very shy so far and not at all interested in the mollys. She just hides in the castle I have in there for my Quarantiners to hide in.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it's a old wound or birth defect do you know how long he had this?
    Personally not a big fan of using medication for something that might not be a disease, maybe you can ask someone knowledgeable if they know what it is or post some pictures.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd make certain to keep the water really fresh in the QT by changing it every day until you get them out of QT. then watch their behavior and watch the fin. Unless you're seeing infection, fresh water does more for injuries than any medication.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I moved them earlier today and he seems fine, his fin still looks fine and everything. I clean the water in the QTank every day because it has a crappy, tiny filter that I'm not to happy with and because it's a small tank (5.5 gallons) so it gets mucky pretty fast, especially with no gravel or plants and only minimal decoration (2 hiding spots and a bubbler) and the nitrites and nitrates can go through the roof in 2 days flat so... frequent cleanings help.

I'm gonna go with it's probably a birth defect or the like since, as I said, I've never seen him fully flare before and it's likely he had it from the get-go.

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    My large plec0 had a ripped d0rsal fin when I g0t him, it was cleaved clean t0 his back. In just a few m0nths it is nearly gr0wn back n0w. It sh0uld heal itself if n00ne is beating him up. Just keep the water clean, as y0u have been.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    My large plec0 had a ripped d0rsal fin when I g0t him, it was cleaved clean t0 his back. In just a few m0nths it is nearly gr0wn back n0w. It sh0uld heal itself if n00ne is beating him up. Just keep the water clean, as y0u have been.
    +1 to the above. One of my longfin danios had her tail bitten completely off in the QT, right up to the body. It has grown back beautifully. Really clean water is the key.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Clean water I can do. I clean the QTank every 2 days (or whenever the water looks cloudy) and the 2 home tanks get a thorough cleaning every week (I'm talking about 50% of the water gone and all of the gravel vacuumed).