· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default German blue ram fry tank and how to buy rams

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, im thinking of getting myself german blue ram to replace my 2 apisto macmasteri (had three as you can see from an older topic but the big fine male dies last night:() but im thinking of getting german blue ram instead and try to breed them.

To the questions:
    How should i buy rams? 1 male and a few females or a group and put unwanted fish down? Local fishstores arn't really keen to take fish back.

If i want to raise fry would a storage box 14.6"x 9.5"x6.7" work as a tank for fry until they are large enough to survive with the parents? or maybe it's even large enough to keep them until sale size.

0 Not allowed!
    few things, try selling the macmasteri, i'd buy them if you were near me

The german blues breed in pairs, either try to buy a pair, watch for them staying together in tank in fish store for a few mins, or buy like 5-6 and wait for them to form a pair... return the ones that don't pair up

That should work for raising fry, just keep it clean, but you will need a growout tank to get them to selling size... maybe a 20g

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    after they are big enough they will go with the parents in the 30 gallon for now, maybe ill get a 15 gallon for them later but thats the biggest tank i can house with my other 2 tanks.

I would sell the macmasteri to you if it wasn't half way around the earth :D ill try to find someone to take them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you wouldnt need a fry tank for rams. They are very good parents and will raise the fry themselves.
    MY tank: 2 GBR's 2 EBR's 6 rasbora hets 1 cory

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is not going to hold just the rams, there are kardinals and tetras aswell. + i want to maximize the survivability so removing them from the parents are the best bet. i have also read they are the worst parents of all cichlids from all the breeding that has happened.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    First - please dont put any fish down. I will pay shipping and you can send the others to me just for the sake of the fish. Get 8 rams, put them in a 40gal breeder with 10-12 terricota pots. You will have more pairs than you want this way but you will also have a great diversity. If you are just recreationally breeding, get 4 and you will get a pair out of them easy then sell the rest. They protect fry fine, its the tetra that will eat you babies once free swimming. Question - if you cant get rid of adults, why are you wanting a pair to breed?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want to start breeding to learn from it but i don't want to breed in a tank with only 1 pair of cichlids the tank looks to plain then. and what does breeding have to do with not being able to get rid of adults you don't sell the fish when they are adults they are teenagers when you sell them to the store and such. but as i said getting rid of adult fish isn't impossible but can be hard, i got one store that will gladly take any fish but they don't keep very healthy fish since it's a large chain store without any fish intrested person working in that store, only fur lovers in that store, but ill try to give to to stores or other aquarium keepers, the macmasteri can be quite easy to get rid of since it's a rarer fish around here.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Might aswell give the leftover rams you don't want away to someone who wants them rather than killing them, i don't know how some people can think so easily over killing their pets.
    I only euthanize my fish when they are unhealably sick or damaged which thankfully only happened once in my life, even though it's "just a fish" it's still a life taken without a good reason.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had to put down a few, but only for the fact that the fish was dying.

I don't think the OP planned to put the rams down, but just didn't know what he could do with the apistos...

If you are in the US, me or sandz would happily take them.

And in my exp typical store bought rams are not very good parents, mine eat the wigglers every time... might just be because they are with other fish, but apistos seem to be better parents from what ive seen

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazumi View Post
    I want to start breeding to learn from it but i don't want to breed in a tank with only 1 pair of cichlids the tank looks to plain then. and what does breeding have to do with not being able to get rid of adults you don't sell the fish when they are adults they are teenagers when you sell them to the store and such. but as i said getting rid of adult fish isn't impossible but can be hard, i got one store that will gladly take any fish but they don't keep very healthy fish since it's a large chain store without any fish intrested person working in that store, only fur lovers in that store, but ill try to give to to stores or other aquarium keepers, the macmasteri can be quite easy to get rid of since it's a rarer fish around here.
    The idea that you are breeding to learn from it is one thing but you will need to place them. Considering fish stores sell them one for $7-12 you could undercut and sell them for $5 to craigslist people. You dont say where you are from so I cant really help much more unless I get that info.

I firmly believe, if you dont have a good place to rehome fry, or a want to take care of them all, we have a moral issue. That being said, I just try to speak on behalf of what I think is right and whne someone I dont know asks for advice with some red flags, I just want to ask the ethics questions.

Hardy this is what im refrencing:
    "How should i buy rams? 1 male and a few females or a group and put unwanted fish down?"

Additionally:
    You will not get a great yeild from your rams in a community tank. The other tank mates will eat the free swimming fry. You will need an airstone and methene blue in a seperate tank to hatch the batch artificially and then further would need that tank with a 100% water change after hatch to then grow the fry. You may thing of getting either a product like liquifry or hatching baby brine shrimp to feed the fry through their first days.
    Last edited by Sandz; 07-12-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's