· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Adding Fish

1. Default Adding Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I am new to AC and just had a few Q's to ask. I have a 30gal high I have been cycling it with 5 Goldfish. I will not add any more fish untill I have cycled for 60 days. 1st Q. Should I take out the goldfish for any lenght of time before adding my new fish? 2nd Q. What fish should I start to introduce first? My Fish family ( I would like ) consist of 2 Angelfish (center piece), 5 Dwarf Gouramis,3 Panda corys, a Bristlenose Pleco, and maybe 2 to 3 sharks. (not sure on the sharks tho). Also plan on getting a 60 to 80 gal tank in a few years.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    N0t sure if y0u mean that y0u are g0ing t0 give y0ur cycle 60 days t0 c0mplete itself 0r if y0u mean 60 days after c0mpleti0n, but cycling time can vary greatly 0n many fact0rs. Fish in cycling als0 has rather different expectati0ns than fishless cycling time wise. Cycles can die 0ff rather rapidly with0ut a s0urce 0f amm0nia (fish). I am n0t quite as well versed as many 0f 0ur very kn0wlegeable and reliable members when it c0mes t0 st0ck lists- but they will be sure t0 chime in with great advice as what will w0rk best, I kn0w this p0st wasn't a wealth 0f inf0 but, I guess I'm just trying t0 clarify what y0u meant as it will help 0thers t0 help y0u. But when the time c0mes t0 rest0ck d0 it sl0wly, a few fish at a time s0 y0ur cycle can adjust t0 the bi0 l0ad.
    Last edited by Longshot; 07-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am giving the tank 60 Days to complete. I did not know if I should remove Goldfish for a day or two before adding new?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1corycat View Post
    2 Angelfish (center piece), 5 Dwarf Gouramis,3 Panda corys, a Bristlenose Pleco, and maybe 2 to 3 sharks. (not sure on the sharks tho).
    Seriously?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    read up on how to cycle the tank, it will require less time, but much more work with fish

I highly recommend you do a fishless cycle, why buy the fish if you don't plan to keep them... plus cycling with fish is much harder

Also, on your planned stock:

2 Angels - eh not great but could be ok
    5 Dwarf Gouramis - you cannot have more than 1 in this size tank, and even 1 won't play well with the angels
    3 Corys - Should do at least 6
    BN Pleco - good call
    Sharks - No. not unless you have a MUCH larger tank already, even the smallest sharks require a tank around 90g

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    read up on how to cycle the tank, it will require less time, but much more work with fish
    You can not place a time frame on cycling - doing it with fish in the tank takes longer because you have to keep your ammonia level at a safe level (like .25), while doing it without fish permits you to "spike" the ammonia to start growing bacteria faster - your tank is cycled when your water parameters say it's cycled and not when YOU decide you have cycled it "enough".

I highly recommend you do a fishless cycle, why buy the fish if you don't plan to keep them... plus cycling with fish is much harder
    I agree with this advice. Return the goldfish and get yourself some pure ammonia - will take less time and you don't have to subject the goldfish to living in a small tank like that.

Also, on your planned stock:

2 Angels - eh not great but could be ok from what I've learned here, 2 angels would only work if they were already a mated pair and you had a larger tank - 1 would work
    5 Dwarf Gouramis - you cannot have more than 1 in this size tank, and even 1 won't play well with the angels
    3 Corys - Should do at least 6 [COLOR="#FF0000"] -
    BN Pleco - good call - I wouldn't do that many bottom dwellers in a tank that size personally
    Sharks - No. not unless you have a MUCH larger tank already, even the smallest sharks require a tank around 90g
    Please see my responses above
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will have to rethink my fish family. I will make sure with tests that the tank is cycled before adding any fish to the tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Someone already said it, but yeah the Dwarf Gourami's are territorial. I'd get 1 male. I actually bought one today for my 10 gallon. The lady at Petco, when I said I wanted 1, told me "They do better in pairs" to which I laughed and said "No...they will fight." Moral of the story, never take advice from a worker at a pet store. IDK where you came up with your original fish family list but you're doing the right thing asking for advice here. Best of luck with your cycle and stocking :)