· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How Heavy Is A 45Gal Filled?

0 Not allowed!
    Seems to be the age old question. What can I put a tank on that won't break? I am looking at a 45 Gal tank long that doesn't come with a cabinet. Question is how heavy will this be? I have a pretty sturdy coffee table that sits under the window. Ideal location. I am looking at the old style large wood Sturdy dresser as well.

Any input is appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    I use the rule of thumb of about 10 lbs per gallon, which would put your tank at ~450 lbs once filled with water and set-up.

Most furniture is not meant to have that much weight on it and would be risky to use over time

I would suggest getting tank stand to use for your tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    The design, materials, j0ints and fasteners used t0 build furniture such as dressers and c0ffee tables are rather under rated f0r "severe duty" use. Neither y0u n0r the fish w0uld likely appreciate the likely failure.
    +1 t0 Cliff.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water at sea level weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. The water alone will weigh 373.5 pounds. If you want the exact weight go to your tank manufacturer's site and get the specs on the tank which should include the weight. Add how many pounds of subtrate you put in it, and estimate the weight of the decorations, filter, etc. (or better yet, weigh them). There will be your answer.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with all the above advice - I was going to put a smaller tank than that on a credenza in my living room and the guy at the store said "Don't do it - the furniture will end up getting wet" - I have a 46 gal and we realized we'd need a stand - they are not only built to handle the weight long term but you can store things in some of them - like an air pump, your siphon, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies