· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Red face New to live plants. Have a few questions.

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a java fern in my 5 gallon hex with my betta. It's getting kind of giant. Should I remove it altogether or is there a way I could split it into smaller pieces to spread out in the tank? It was my first attempt at a live plant several months ago. There's just the one live plant in there among silk plants. If I could split it up and spread it out and get rid of the fake ones that would be awesome. I really like having real plants. I haven't had to make any smaller yet because the other live plants I have are in a 56 gallon and they're just getting started.

If it can't be split up I'll just replant it in the big tank. I'd still like to have a plant or 2 with the betta. Is there a plant that stays short?
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    You can cut java ferns apart at the rhizome, making sure each piece has at least a couple leaves, and spread it apart throughout your tank. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What flyby said. Also, if you're worried about any plant getting too big, you can always trim off some of the older growth (bigger leaves) as long as you leave new growth to sustain the plant. You'll want to be careful to not cut it back too much, but don't be afraid to remove some leaves if they've outgrown your tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aquarium plants are like any other plant. It's best for your tank and the plant itself if you do regular maintenance. Just a trim from time to time. I like that it leaves all sorts of possibilities to do other things. What to do with your trimmings like you said.

Happy Planting

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know! Thanks you guys! I really appreciate all the help I get here.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp