· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Betta

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 2.5 gallon hex. I just assumed bloodworms were the same thing as the freeze dried ones I have, just look like large mosquito larvae. I picked up some Omega One pellets at the store today, crushed one, and gave it to him when I got back from the store which was a few hours ago. He ate it just fine but he still is just sitting at the top of the tank, by the wall, not moving. Stress lines on him are present and they're slowly fading. His color is faded. I'm afraid he may be constipated as I fed him a lot of dry foods...yesterday I think. I've got some peas in the freezer so I'll boil a couple of them, de-shell them, and cut them up really small and see if he'll eat a little bit. He doesn't look bloated or anything and he's eating fine. I haven't noticed if he's pooping regularly. It's just very strange, I've never had a betta that would just sit at the top and not move, except to gulp some air or eat. Then again I've never had a baby betta.

Oh and the temp in the tank is about 78-79 degrees. Sadly the heater I have, doesn't have any selection on it so I can't crank it up for him. The light I have in the hood gets pretty hot so maybe that'll bump the temp up a little bit.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a very good sized tank for a betta. Small, doesn't take up much space, but plenty large enough to keep him happy. I'd suggest adding some Java fern, if you don't already have some, and maybe a few anarcharis. I'm not sure if that's how you spell it... Ancharis? Ancharais? Anacharis?

They lose color when dried, but live ones are bright red, as are frozen ones.

Hmm... That's a tiny bit low for baby bettas, but it shouldn't be a huge problem, and I don't think it'd cause him to act like that.

Check the tank over... Are there any things in there that aren't normal-looking? Possibly there's a few hydras, tiny anemone-like animals, in there and he's been stung. That'd make him unhappy for sure. Or it could be that he's constipated, that's always an option.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 07-12-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt there are hydras haha. I can't imagine how they would've gotten in there. I just set this tank up, I mean it's had fish in it before but it's just been sitting in one of our outside buildings, dry, in a bag. I brought it inside, rinsed it out, and filled it up with tap water (from a well). I'm certain he's constipated. I saw he had a really long, stringy, poop a little earlier

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update: I forgot to turn off the light in the shed after going out there today so tonight I went out there and thought "well while I'm back here, I might as well look through my stuff" and I found a little in-tank bubble filter, rated for 1-3 gallon tanks. Brought that in and set it up, just to see, and it works like a charm. Doesn't move the water too much. And since I've introduced the filter, the little betta is swimming all over, exploring the plants and such that I just added this morning. Then he settled down under the little log ornament, safe from any current there may be in the tank now. I cut off the light since it's late and I figured it would help to alleviate any stress. I'll see how he's doing tomorrow. Things are looking up :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear he's feeling better!

Bettas are usually okay with just a small amount of water movement. As long as they aren't being actually pushed around anywhere exept maybe right under the filter outlet, they're fine. Also, filters are tested without the cartriges, so that filter is probably a 1.5 gal at most. That'll be fine for a betta tank, though, in fact it's a good rating for that size tank.

Any chance we could see some pics? I wanna see the little cutie.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've gotten a few pics of the little guy. I'll add them in the next day or so. I wanted to do a little update. Betta is eating good, I'm doing 50-75% water changes daily, and his colors are getting really vibrant. I've even caught him flaring, which is pretty cute since he's so small. I was wondering, in regards to the flaring, is this normal behavior for a baby? There's nothing outside of the tank that he should be seeing to upset him. I think he's just doing it to do it, but I'm really not sure.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    He might be seeing his reflection on the inside of the tank, and flaring at that. :) And yeah, it's pretty normal for any betta, including babies.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Whenever you see "stress stripes" take note of anything going on and you'll generally get your answer. It could be too much light, too long between a water change, temperature, and in your case since it perked up after the introduction of the filter, it could be low oxygen levels in the water itself.

Though Betta are air breathers at the surface, they do require a certain amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, as they do also use gills. Some tap water is low in dissolved oxygen, and his stress lines and hanging out at the top is a good indicator he or she, wasn't getting enough.

Omega one is an excellent food! I use that with my adult Betta as a main diet. The size though is very large, and as your baby grows, but isn't an adult it may continue to have problems taking in a full pellet. You can also try Aqueon Betta Pellets, or, new life spectrum pellets, I have fed these to my juveniles with great success, and the pellet size are tiny, good for little fishies.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As long as your little guy isn't going nuts with the flaring, he's probably fine, just some flaring is normal. My females flare every now and then, and males are supposed to flare a bit.
    I still suggest getting him a nice big hunk of Java moss, which he'll love, and possibly some Java fern. Java moss is very resistant to salt, so if you want to make sure it doesn't have hydras, you can put it in saltwater for a little while.