· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have them on approx. 8 hrs a day. Trying to have it like a day/night cycle. Should I have them on less?

0 Not allowed!
    Try it out - maybe no more than 5 hrs a day and see if it helps. In the meantime, I'd be changing the water more than once every 2 weeks to try and get those nitrates to 20 or below - many forum members change their water once a week. Perhaps that will help too.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok . Thanks for the great advice and help! Will post back in a few weeks and let you know how it's going :)

0 Not allowed!
    No problem - hope you see an improvement!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. Well bad news. After trying all the suggestions posted the discoloration is getting worse. It's now creeping up the sides of my tank from the edges of the glass on the bottom. The entire inner side of the glass is dark brown on the bottom right above the gravel line. The gravel is the same way all along the inner bottom edges of the tank. It's on all my deco plants, can't see it on my other decos but it's probably there as well. I honestly don't know what else to try. My levels are great... It's starting to look like the tanks I see at the pet stores honestly. They have that weird brown discoloration on the sides of the tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I you had followed all the good advice already given here but the problem just got worse, then my guess would be that you dealing with diatoms here. Diatoms can also thrive in very clean water with almost not nitrates and/or phosphates because it really is not a algae. Diatoms need silicates to survive, without silicates in the water the diatoms will die off. This is why diatoms are very common in new tanks as some substrates can leach out silicates into the water

In your situation, I would guess you have some silicates in your water supply which can be pretty common. This would explain why the situation got worse with increased water changes. As I have silicates in my tap water I will get a outbreak of diatoms from time to time. I have found that using Chemi-pure Elite helps to remove almost all of the silicates from water, which gets rid of the diatoms. That way I can still do large weekly water changes without feeding the diatoms. It seams to work great for the level of diatoms in my water supply.

It might be worth a try if you could fit some chemi-pure elite in your filter
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-04-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea this really looks bad. It's like a brown rust that is running up my glass on the inside bottom edges of my tank. It's on everything now. I will try to find some chemi-pure and use it and post back the results.

Thanks
    Last edited by Duchess044; 08-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.