· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brown discoloration on gravel

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I cannot find my OP on this, but I was able to get an image of what it looks like. It's primarily on the gravel, but it's also in the "creases" and corners of the artificial plants. It's getting worse little by little and I would love to know what it is and how to get rid of it. Oh it's also all in my filter intake.

0710130729.jpg0710130728.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Is your tank newly set up? It could be diatoms - they are brown and get on everything.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No I've had this tank for almost 2 years.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm - have you tried removing it? Does it come off easily?

What are your current tank parameters - readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?

When did it start appearing and did you make any changes in the tank recently - like adding something, changing your cleaning/feeding schedule?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: a little higher than 20. It's usually just about at 20 so it is a tiny bit high. Not very , though
    Nitrtite: 0
    PH: 7.6 this is the same as it has always been.

The only thing I have changed/added is an Otto and a Moss ball. Did this about 3 weeks ago. No to changing cleaning/feeding schedule. It started appearing maybe a week after adding the Otto and Moss ball. I don't believe these had anything to do with it as they are supposed to eat algae, not create it, right? Also, I haven't changed anything nor touched anything in my filter for a long time. I was told it wasn't necessary. I used to rinse the sponge every other cleaning and change the charcoal. I haven't done anything to it in probably 3 months.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess044 View Post
    Ok parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: a little higher than 20. It's usually just about at 20 so it is a tiny bit high. Not very , though
    Nitrtite: 0
    PH: 7.6 this is the same as it has always been.

The only thing I have changed/added is an Otto and a Moss ball. Did this about 3 weeks ago. No to changing cleaning/feeding schedule. It started appearing maybe a week after adding the Otto and Moss ball. I don't believe these had anything to do with it as they are supposed to eat algae, not create it, right? Also, I haven't changed anything nor touched anything in my filter for a long time. I was told it wasn't necessary. I used to rinse the sponge every other cleaning and change the charcoal. I haven't done anything to it in probably 3 months.
    Have you tried to remove it yet from any surface in the tank?

I know otos eat algae (I have 6 in my tank) but I don't know if there might be some kinds they won't eat and therefore you have a build up in your tank.

Parameters sound Ok but it's important to keep the nitrates at 20 or less prior to a water change plus, after 3 mos I would clean your filter - just rinse the media in tank water and put it right back in there. No need to replace any charcoal - it's not needed unless you are trying to remove medication.

How often do you vacuum your substrate?
    5 gal QT

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. It comes off pretty easily, but within a day it just goes either right back or it's somewhere else. . I do know my Otto won't go anywhere near the gravel so I guess he won't eat the weird gunk that is down there. And that's where most of this stuff is. I vacuum every time I do a water change. Which is every other week. I read that with an established tank you don't need to do every week cleanings. So since the nitrates are a little high, do you think that is causing this growth? Should I get some Nitrate remover? Or just clean the filter real good and do a water change?
    Last edited by Duchess044; 07-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Dont' bother with nitrate remover - you are correct about your cleanings - many of us vacuum a different part of the substrate with every water change. How often do you feed your fish? What kind of filter are you using? You are going to need to change your water a little more frequently to keep the nitrates lower until we determine what is causing this.

I have a cannister filter on mine with hoses and I found unless I cleaned them out regularly I had higher nitrates. If I fed too much the excess got into the hoses and just sat there.

Algae generally comes from an imbalance in the tank or too much light for too long - not sure about whether higher nitrates can cause it or not.
    5 gal QT

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feed them every morning. About a pinch, watch them for a few minutes and if they eat all of it I give another pinch. I have an AquaClear 70 filter for my 26 gal tank.

0 Not allowed!
    How long do you run your lights?

Let me also add a link to a thread I found discussing this:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/brown-algae-249062.html

Although the OP didn't have higher nitrates, the tank was also running for a while instead of being new and some spoke of high silicates and other issues.
    Last edited by imma24; 07-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    5 gal QT