· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default 5 Gal Planted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Just took some more pictures of the 5 gal in my signature. I had to pull one of the taller stems because it had looked rough when it first arrived, but it just started melting completely away and gave my tank a big nitrate spike. So, out it came.

The full view:

003_zpsa5ec2c5e.jpg

Two views of the mystery stems:

006_zps7fa5678c.jpg
    009_zpsc5998868.jpg

The crypt forest:

013_zpsab5fcd5f.jpg

And the two Anubias with the java ferns just barely peaking out behind them:

015_zpsfab7b965.jpg

And it looks like I have two more baby javas growing, besides the one I anchored to the pot of gravel. So that's three baby javas to put in future tanks! :D

And I think I'm going to call Petco tomorrow afternoon, see if they got new bettas in with their Wednesday fish shipments. I'm really leaning towards getting a baby and putting it in my 2 gal until it's a bit bigger and the stems have grown in some more. It'll be easier to keep up with the water changes on the 2 gal, to get rid of the stunting hormone.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good! I'm sure the betta will love it's new home...much better than whatever little cup it comes in :)
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Flyby Stardancer;1164943[And I think I'm going to call Petco tomorrow afternoon, see if they got new bettas in with their Wednesday fish shipments. I'm really leaning towards getting a baby and putting it in my 2 gal until it's a bit bigger and the stems have grown in some more. It'll be easier to keep up with the water changes on the 2 gal, to get rid of the stunting hormone.[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I wouldn't start off the betta in a 2gal tank - the whole point of a 5gal is to give it space - if you are dealing with 2 uncycled tanks, better put it in the 5 - believe me, doing water changes is just as easy in a 5 as in a 2 and it's easier to keep the ammonia level down too with more water.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    1Sarah, thank you! :)

imma24, I'd only be putting it in the 2 gal if it were a baby. The 5 is completely cycled, which is why I've waited to even get a fish. I have several reasons for this difference. One, babies are so small that they don't need a lot of room at first, and water parameters wouldn't be an issue because I'd be doing daily water changes to deal with the growth stunting hormone well before ammonia became an issue. For another, location. While both tanks are in the same room, the 2 gal is next to the sink, making water changes very easy. The 5 gal is lower and further away, deliberately set up so that my cats can watch it (unlike the 2 gal, which is in an area where the cats aren't allowed up). And finally, vertical hiding spots. While I'm fine putting an adult in the tank as-is, I really want the stems to grow in more before potentially adding a younger betta. Since the decorations in the 2 gal are all fake, I don't need for anything to grow in. (I've done my research, babies get very stressed out with lots of open space, and the 5 gal has a lot of open space right now since the stems are still just starting to grow in.)

And that's if I even come home with a baby. There's also the chance of me seeing a totally gorgeous adult and needing to bring him/her home.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I can promise you that 5gal tank V 2 gal tank is no difference for the better. You buying a baby getting stressed from large spaces are .5in fry that have issues finding food. Most betta breaders house fry in 10gal tanks until .5in then 55gal tank to grow full out. Then they get bottled and graded. You will be better off with the 5gal. My 2cents.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz, I feel I must respectively point out that young betta fry prefer large amounts of cover, especially vegetative. That's part of why new breeders are encouraged to have plants, especially floating ones, in their tanks.

Now, stress level is related to amount/quality of cover and how that interacts with how much outside stimulation they get. Unfortunately, that part is not something that can easily be shared with a couple paragraphs across the internet. There is a reason why I didn't try to clear off space to put the 2 gal (which is my QT tank) next to the 5 gal, and instead put it where it would be difficult for my cats to see and in a spot where they are not allowed to jump up.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I'm still not understanding why growing out plants is more important to you than providing the fish a larger tank - especially one that's cycled already. I assume you are maintaining the cycle by feeding ammonia?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in