· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Sick cory- Swim bladder disease or swallowed air?

0 Not allowed!
    I have, among other cories, two salt-and-pepper cories in my 65 gallon. One of them was just found laying on his side at the top, early yesterday. I thought for sure he was dead, then, when I tried to get him out, he flipped over and dove. He didn't stay down long, though, he kept floating up. It was like watching a balloon trying to sink, poor thing was trying to go down, and could get pretty far, but as soon as he even paused he went back up again. I've got him in a mesh hatchery to keep him from getting pestered, and he's showed no signs of any illness other than the floating. I've had cories do this for thirty minutes or so before, presumably from swallowing air, but this guy's been doing it for almost two days. He's also breathing kind of fast, although that might be because the water's sort of warm for cories. I'm working on cooling it off, though.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Cories are tropical fish - what temp do you keep the tank at?

What else is in this tank and do you have enough circulation in the tank via airstone or filter outtake?

What are your most current water parameters? Readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is about at 78 F right now, as it's summer, but I'm trying to cool it just a touch.

Mostly just small schooling fish, plus a gold gourami, a freshwater goby, a twig catfish, and two bettas. There's circulation in all of the tank except this one-inch-wide patch in a corner, and that's full of Java moss.

0 A, 0 Ni, 10 or so Na. Hardness is something like 7.1, which I'm pretty sure is basically optimum for most fish.

It's a moot point, now, because I just got back from a sleepover and the cory is fine. He was tootling around the hatchery like cories do, and he's now back in the main tank. I'm pretty sure he just swallowed some air.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae