· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Shellies and Julis?

0 Not allowed!
    No one really seemed to notice or definitively answer my question in my other topic so I was wondering. Do you guys believe Neolamprologus multifasciatus and julidochromis transcriptus could live together in a 20 gallon long? I've read that they can and see youtube videos but I like confirming with this forum. I'd do anywhere from 4-10 multies and then maybe 1-3 julis.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    It's a common combination, just wondering if the 20 long would be big enough

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    That's my worry. I've found evidence of them working in a 30 gallon and 29 gallon. But none of them in a 20.. Hmm I think I'll start with the multies and if I'm comfortable with them I'll add a juli or two.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say start with two pairs of multies but already include a rock wall area for the juli. A pair will probably work.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it works in a 29 it will work in a 20 long, they're the same tank as for as tangs are concerned. I have done this combination in that size tank. You can have 1 Juli. It will take over the side that has all the rocks and the multis will take over the side with all the shells. You may want to look into a leleupi instead though. Mine kept to his rocks and didn't bother anybody, whereas the juli used to come out and pick on the shellies allot.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too fond of leleupi. They're pretty but get bigger than the julis and and I'd be worried there wouldn't be enough room in the tank. The tank really isn't that big and its only 12 inches tall so there's not room for large rock structures for a leleupi. I think it'd be best to try with julis.

We'll see what happens. I do think I'm going to stick to the juli. I've read that amongst the different juli species there's wide arrays of different temperaments. J. transcriptus seems to be one of the less aggressive species and seems to do quite well with multies. I think I'm going to get 4 multies, should I get 2 males or would they constantly fight, and a single or pair of julis.

For the scape I might put a rock structure on each end of the tank and the shells in the middle. Or I could put a big rock structure in the middle and have shells on both ends. Or I could have the rock structure on one end and the shells on the either. Either way there has to be some amount of rocks on both ends, just to keep the scape flowing and looking nice.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 07-21-2013 at 02:13 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If there's one thing I learned keeping tangs it's that if you let anything pair it's a disaster in a small tank. Except for the multies of course. That isn't just Internet speak, I actually watched a pair of neolamps murder 6 of my shellies when the decided to breed. I had to sell the survivors off. Tangs can be a pain in the but in small tanks, they have such large territories.

If you really want to enjoy them you may want to give the multies the whole tank. I really wash I had done that with my occies looking back on it.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Then should I get one Juli? I really liked the look of Neolamprologus brichardi but I'm almost positive they wouldn't do well in a 20 long. I mean I'm fine with one Juli but I just want a nice bit of variety. I would love to go for a bigger tank but money is real constraint atm for my family.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's up to you. I was in the exact same boat as you when I made my tang tank. I was working with the same footprint and I put in a couple different species of fish, I personally felt like I enjoyed each type of fish allot less because they spent so much time fighting with each other I didn't get to see their real behavior.

So I guess what im saying is you certainly could add a Juli, it would work fine. But my personal preference is looking back on my tank I wish I had not. I think I would have enjoyed my tank allot more if I had made it a shellie only tank. But it comes down to personal taste.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thank you. Idk I really like julis and and multies. I'd love to have both. I'll see what happens. I wish I could go bigger, and I do have a 55 gallon, I just don't have a filter big enough for it, or the money for one.

It doesn't hurt to try and see if both species would work, its a learning experience so I'll see how it goes.

For multies should I get 2 males and 2 females, or should I just get 1 male and 3 females??
    Last edited by Gesp56; 07-21-2013 at 04:58 AM.