· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Ornate bichir and black ghost knifefish

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys.
    I am planning a 520US gallon predatory fish tank. I am planning on putting in a ornate bichir and a black ghost knifefish and then maybe add a few more fish if the tank is looking empty. Would the two be aggressive to each other. I am pretty sure they require the same contortions so I think I would be good on that front. Another thing I heard bichirs need a sandy substrate so they don't get hurt. Is this true. I would also like to put in a few plants to create a natural look. I was thinking about putting an elephant nose fish and an African butterflyfish but I'm worried they might get eaten by the burchir. At help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what should I feed. I was thinking ghost shrimp and feeder platys that I would raise myself in a 50 gal and a few feeder worms you would normally feed to snakes and scorpions. Would my idea work?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    The knife and birchir should do fine. You would be best off using sand substrate. Elephant nose and butterfly fish are a bit small though, 500 gallons is a lot of water to fill.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    what about something like a larger schooling fish, would the birchir bother them, say a school of larger silver dollars? I honestly don't know so just guessing on an idea

0 Not allowed!
    I'd advice anyone considering this to have a good look at monsterfishkeepers as well.

0 Not allowed!
    honestly i think with a tank this size the typical "behavior" of fish does change because there is so much more open space for a natural feel.

IE. You typically would want a bichir alone, but in a tank this size smaller fish may work since there is so much more room, really they would just need to be faster than the bichir

ALSO, +1 to monsterfishkeepers on this one

0 Not allowed!
    It's my opinion that a lot of these ideas that surface here are largely driven by a certain coolness aspect. It's mixing predators and that's always tricky.
    Somehow we never get the "I want a 550 gallon tank, can I house 1000 neon tetras in there".

Anyway, excuse the rant. Monster if only for the practicalities like filtration and heating and the supports for big tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    supports and filtration aren't the hard part in my opinion, to be honest lighting and heating are the major killers to me... Supports just need more wood and a concrete floor, filtration can be done with a nice big sump and a overflow with some powerheads to move the water well.

Heating is a tough part (at least economically) and same with lighting if you want plants or to be able to see the fish well

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, you'd be looking at 8, 10 ft of tank length I'd say. That's a lot of T5 tubes and a few big heaters or some inlines. Let's say you don't overdo the lights and use twin T5HO you'd still be looking at 2 watts per inch of tank length. Want decent growth? Double that! Setup like this you'd be drawing at least 800watts continuously with the lights on, more if the ambiant temp drops. At our prices of about 30 dollarcents per Kw/h I wouldn't want to have the electricity bill for this.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for he advice. I think I will go with the idea. I'm not very worried about electricity cost. As far as the weight, we have very thick concrete floors.